Why Modify stage is used when Transformer can do

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ulab
Participant

Why Modify stage is used when Transformer can do

Post by ulab »

when we can drop/modify column and do null Handling using Transformer, what are the other(or unique) uses of a Modify stage, please let me know, thank you.
Ulab----------------------------------------------------
help, it helps you today or Tomorrow
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The modify stage is the original Orchestrate stage that allowed modification of column values, the transform stage came afterwards. They have a number of similarities; while the modify stage is an OSH call, transform stages are compiled c programs that are executed at runtime.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I particularly like the inbuilt small lookup table (integer to string or string to integer) capability.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
sohasaid
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sohasaid »

ArndW wrote:while the modify stage is an OSH call, transform stages are compiled c programs that are executed at runtime.
This means that Modify stage has better performance than the transformer as the transformer is executed at the runtime?
BMSK
Participant

Post by BMSK »

yes at run time modify stage will perform more than transformer.(execution)
boringbaby
Participant

Post by boringbaby »

Certainly, performance of modify stage is better than transformer .
but transformer has more functions than modify stage , and can perform several work at one time .
if you totally use modify stage instead of transforms in complex jobs , it may make your maintenance harder.
Hello,world!
sendmkpk
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sendmkpk »

u can search this forum definitely, for more info.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

... but maybe U is not interested in this particular question. U is one of our members. The second person personal pronoun in English is spelled "you".
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.