Calling multi instance job from sequencer

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

lkganta
Participant

Calling multi instance job from sequencer

Post by lkganta »

Hi,
I have implemented loop type logic (Start & End Loop stages) in my datastage sequencer job, which makes call to a multi-instance datastage job based on the loop counter value. But, I found that the loop is waiting until the multi-instance job is completed, for the passing the next value and then call the datastage job another time.

I am in the need to implement to execute all multi-instances at same time.
So, the loop counter should call my multi-instance job and SHOULD NOT WAIT for the completion but should trigger another instance by incrementing the loop counter automatically.

Can some one help me with this?

Thank you,
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Hmmm... the Job Activity stage waits, period. If you need to start the job and not wait, you'll need to use something else. Question though, if you do that how will you know what happens with all the jobs that you run? Your Sequence job will just fly around the loop and be done, are you planning on manually checking their status each time? :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
lkganta
Participant

Post by lkganta »

Thank you for the response; I am planning to use some other external script to verify these logs of the multi instance job. Incase I find some errors, I will stop the processing the next steps. So, is there any way to pass many invocation ids in parallel and execute one multi-instance job in PX ?

Thank you,
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

If this is really what you want to do, use a Routine Activity (where you attach to and run the job using the BASIC API) or Execute Command (with 'dsjob' and no '-wait' or '-jobstatus') stage instead of the JA stage inside your loop. Either can be used to start a job without that pesky 'and then wait for it to finish' part as noted.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers