An insight to PX transformer

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

zulfi123786
Premium Member
Premium Member

An insight to PX transformer

Post by zulfi123786 »

As all PX job stages eventually land up into osh script how does the transformer stage's life cycle differ?
The transformer has to be compiled using C++ compiler and then linked, this would create machine language instructions now how are these converted back to the osh code?
Is there any utility that converts the other stages to osh code?
Out of all Stages is transformer the only stage that differs from the others in such behaviour where it requires additional steps before being converted to final stage of execution.

I am sorry to ask many questions in one but the answers would help me a lot in understanding the nature of DataStage.

Many Thanks
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Transformer stage code ends up being a callable object or callable function in a library (depending on how you link it). Its stage properties dialog has a Build tab where you can override the default compile and link options. The Build stage is the same, in that it generates callable objects.

That's all done invisibly, when you compile a job. If you change the job but don't change the Transformer stage, then the Transformer stage is not re-compiled unless you specify a Force Compile.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.