unknown files in /var/tmp

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

munch9
Premium Member
Premium Member

unknown files in /var/tmp

Post by munch9 »

hi,

We have noticed a number of files being created in the /var/tmp directory on our server which are not being removed and begining to fill up the space.

The file names are somewhat random 'qeYzypqb' for example and the content is a mix of non-readable text, readable text (our data) and occasional SQL codes.

It would seem as though they are rejected records from ODBC stages which we use to load into a DB2/UDB target.

My questions are, how do i control the location of these files? Are they needed or is it possible to not create them at all? Can they simply be deleted by a scheduled job once all DS jobs are complete?

I have searched everywhere I can think of but cannot find anywhere where it is specified either to create these files or even to use the /var/tmp directory for anything.

Any ideas?
priyadarshikunal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by priyadarshikunal »

these files are created by buffer operators and sometimes left there in case the job aborts. Other readables are the files created by ODBC as you noted.

To control the location:

change the value of TMPDIR environment variables to point to scratch disk in seperate folder/any different location so that you can identify/remove them easily (which ever disk you want to use). Also create a user defined variable called TEMP_DIR and set it same/different as TMPDIR.
Priyadarshi Kunal

Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped. :wink:
munch9
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by munch9 »

Thanks,

Will give that a try. Was a little confused that files seemed to be appearing in both /var/tmp and /tmp.

As long as they are safe to delete that solves the problem anyhow.

I'll mark this as resolved but just for reference, is setting TEMP_DIR a workaround to cover different OS's that use this instead of TMPDIR?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You should really change UVTEMP (a value in uvconfig) as well.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
priyadarshikunal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by priyadarshikunal »

That as well :idea:
Priyadarshi Kunal

Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped. :wink:
nagarjuna
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by nagarjuna »

ray.wurlod wrote:You should really change UVTEMP (a value in uvconfig) as well. ...
Hi Ray ,

Is UVTEMP in uvconfig file is same as that of TEMP_DIR ?

Thanks
Nag
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

No.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers