APT_STRING_PADCHAR - Varchar datatype

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

arun_im4u
Premium Member
Premium Member

APT_STRING_PADCHAR - Varchar datatype

Post by arun_im4u »

Hello,

If I set the APT_STRING_PADCHAR=0x20 then it pads spaces to the character and varchar type columns as well. This is causing quite a bit of issue, because I want only the character columns to be padded with spaces. The varchar type columns are long and consume lot of space if padded with spaces.

How can I get around it other than setting the APT_STRING_PADCHAR =<empty> and padding spaces to the char type cols in the transformer? Is there a bug in the variable? Does anyone know if IBM has a patch?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

In my opinion VarChar ought not to be padded. What does your official support provider say??
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
arun_im4u
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by arun_im4u »

I have not contacted them yet. Wanted to get some feedback before doing so.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

It is specifically "PADCHAR", it shouldn't be padding a varchar. Report it as a bug, let us know what comes of it.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
BradMiller
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by BradMiller »

We had this same problem when creating an XML Out message. The message was built into a large varchar field. It padded spaces to the end of the length of the varchar field. We reported it to IBM and they confirmed it was a bug and submitted it to be fixed in a future patch. This was about 4 months ago but I have not been notified that it has been fixed. They did supply a work-around: Remove the field length on the varchar field(s). It will then be unbounded and will not be padded with spaces. This worked fine for our needs.
arun_im4u
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by arun_im4u »

IBM has given a patch to fix this issue.
sjfearnside
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sjfearnside »

Can you supply the patch number for others to reference. Thanks
developeretl
Participant

Can you please explain about this parameter

Post by developeretl »

Hi,
Im new to this and I dnt know when to use this parameter, Can you please let me know how does it work.