Finding a data element in a project across jobs

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

tbtcust
Premium Member
Premium Member

Finding a data element in a project across jobs

Post by tbtcust »

Hello everyone. I need to determine the impact of changing a data element that is being used in many jobs across a single project. I'll keep it to three jobs for now.

Job1 extracts the data from a db2 table and writes it to a flat file. Job1 calls it column_1
Job2 reads that data and performs some update then writes the data to a new file. Job2 calls the column_A
Job3 reads Jobs2's new file and performs and update and writes the data to a new file. Job3 calls the column_X

Is there a way to find column_1 in all the different forms across a project and jobs?

Thanks in advance for any help
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Hmmm... by saying "I'll keep it to three jobs for now" are you saying there are (or may be) other variations of this column name across your jobs? :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
tbtcust
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tbtcust »

One other item chulett. I have manually traced column_1 through some of the project and so far column_1 has been the starting point for the first parallel job in the different Sequence jobs.
tbtcust
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tbtcust »

We are on 8.1.x. I have started putting together a DSX scanner to see if I dig the info out. Thanks.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

By "data element" do you mean a DataStage Data Element?

If so, your easiest solution is probably a global search and replace in an export file - structure of Data Elements in the DSX file is simple.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
tbtcust
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tbtcust »

All, turns out that the customer has the MetaData Workbench product. They have installed it over the weekend. I have used the links below and see a report I can use. I have almost 200 attributes I need to process and need a batch processing or custom query solution. I'm starting a new post in the MetaData and IBM MetaData Workbench.

Impact Analysis reporting
(scroll down to the relevant section):
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocente ... ports.html

Here's the URL about how to actually do the analysis:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocente ... lysis.html