Run SQL Server Stored Procedure

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

mikesherm
Participant

Run SQL Server Stored Procedure

Post by mikesherm »

I'm trying to use a Stored Procedure Stage in a Job Sequence to run a SQL Server Stored Procedure to truncate tables before individual Job Sequences are processed. There are no parameters to send to the Stored Procedure. I'm having trouble configuring the Stage to work properly. It keeps failing with the following error:
Caught unknown exception from runLocally().
I'm assuming this is a pretty generic error message.
I've tried procedure call syntaxes such as {CALL [stored procedure]} and {Exec [Stored Procedure]}. I've searched documentation and the forums but can't seem to determine what I'm doing wrong.

Any advice in configuring the stage properly would be helpful.

Thanks.

Mike
Mike Sherman
Senior Consultant
Creative Computing, Inc.
mikesherm
Participant

Post by mikesherm »

Sorry, I misspoke. I realize that the Stored Procedure Stage is used for Parallel Jobs, not Job Sequences. Is it possible to create a Parallel Job that would have as its only stage a Stored Procedure Stage? If so, I still need to figure out the configuration.

Otherwise, is it possible to call it from a Job Sequence. I don't have a client SQL Server app on the Server to I can't call a Command Line to run the procedure.

Thanks and sorry for the confusion.

Mike S.
Mike Sherman
Senior Consultant
Creative Computing, Inc.
Sreenivasulu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Sreenivasulu »

Use the rowgenerator stage as a dummy and plug it to the SP stage

Regards
Sreeni
mikesherm
Participant

Post by mikesherm »

Sreenivasulu,

The client I'm working at has only purchased QualityStage. It appears that the Rowgenerator Stage is a Datastage specific stage. Is there another stage I can use as a dummy stage.

Mike
Mike Sherman
Senior Consultant
Creative Computing, Inc.
dganeshm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by dganeshm »

mikesherm wrote:Sreenivasulu,

The client I'm working at has only purchased QualityStage. It appears that the Rowgenerator Stage is a Datastage specific stage. Is there another stage I can use as a dummy stage.

Mike
Try using a sequential file and use it to trigger the SP stage.
Regards,
Ganesh
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

mikesherm wrote:The client I'm working at has only purchased QualityStage. It appears that the Rowgenerator Stage is a Datastage specific stage.
In that case, you should probably post in the QualityStage forum, that would probably help keep your answers confined to the proper product. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
mikesherm
Participant

Post by mikesherm »

Chulett,

I would generally agree with you, although it appears that with the combining of the 2 products into one interface, the lines have gotten a bit blurred. Since I'm not using any of the QS specific components, I had assumed that the content of the post would be more relevant to DS users. If I assumed wrong, my bad. :lol:

Thanks for your response.

Mike
Mike Sherman
Senior Consultant
Creative Computing, Inc.