ABAP Extract stage - Chinese and Latin characters

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

pillip
Premium Member
Premium Member

ABAP Extract stage - Chinese and Latin characters

Post by pillip »

Hi,

We have Chinese and Latin characters in one field in the SAP source system. We have used the NLS settings as UTF-8 in the ABAP extract stage to retrieve the data. But the data is converted into junk characters.

Could you please let us know what NLS settings need to be used for getting the chinese and latin characters from the ABAP

Thanks.
suryapkakani
Participant

Post by suryapkakani »

If you have a transformer used then, Use convert() function to remove these characters. If you cannot then try to find its HEX equivalent and use a routine to remove this from the file.
sunny
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Sunny: Do you always advocate destroying some of the client's data?!!!

Pillip: Try using one of the Chinese character maps (for example GB2312 or BIG5). Since you didn't specify simplified or traditional Chinese I can't be more specific than that. Most maps automatically handle the ASCII character set.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
pillip
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by pillip »

I have tried with GB2312 and BIG5 but still not able to get them.

Thanks.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

They were suggested "for example". You need to find how your Chinese characters are encoded and use that map.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.