Sequence Job Doesn't Abort

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

mikesherm
Participant

Sequence Job Doesn't Abort

Post by mikesherm »

Here's probably a simple one for you gurus out there. :lol:

I've got a Sequence Job that runs several individual Jobs in Parallel. One of the individual Jobs aborts, but the Sequence Job still finishes with a Status of 1 (Finished-OK). This sends a false success status to the Master Sequence Job it is contained in.

How do I get the individual Sequence Job to abort if one of the individual Jobs aborts and/or fails.

Thanks.

Mike S.
Mike Sherman
Senior Consultant
Creative Computing, Inc.
veerabusani185512
Participant

Re: Sequence Job Doesn't Abort

Post by veerabusani185512 »

Hi Mike,
In the job activity stage->Trigger tab...You can set the condtion by which next stage will be or not execute....
in our project we generally select Custom conditon option in drop down and include condition
JOB_NAME.$JobStatus= DSJS.RUNOK OR JOB_NAME.$JobStatus= DSJS.RUNWARN

which indicates when ur present job stage has been executed successfully or with warnings then only next stage will be triggered

U can also one more link after the job for which trigger condition shud be set to 'Failed conditonal' and then the link can be given to terminator stage...by doing this ...if the present job in the seq aborts seq will be aborted.

mikesherm wrote:Here's probably a simple one for you gurus out there. :lol:

I've got a Sequence Job that runs several individual Jobs in Parallel. One of the individual Jobs aborts, but the Sequence Job still finishes with a Status of 1 (Finished-OK). This sends a false success status to the Master Sequence Job it is contained in.

How do I get the individual Sequence Job to abort if one of the individual Jobs aborts and/or fails.

Thanks.

Mike S.
mikesherm
Participant

Post by mikesherm »

veerabusani,

I'm not sure I'm following this exactly. My Sequence Job runs several individuals Jobs in parallel. There are no output links for any of them so there are no trigger conditions. When all the jobs complete in the Sequence, all succeeed except on which finishes with an abort status. The overall status of the Sequence comes back as 1. Are you saying that I would need to add a Terminator stage after each individual job to have the Sequence return an Abort status?

Mike
Mike Sherman
Senior Consultant
Creative Computing, Inc.
veerabusani185512
Participant

Post by veerabusani185512 »

Hi Mike,
If all jobs in the sequence are parallel,then add a output link for each the jobs in sequence and join all those link using sequencer and then ouput of the sequencer to a terminator stage.

In each of the job activity stage apply trigger condition select failed conditional

and in the sequencer stage select Mode as 'Any' indicating if any of the job aborts execute terminator stage

Veera
mikesherm wrote:veerabusani,

I'm not sure I'm following this exactly. My Sequence Job runs several individuals Jobs in parallel. There are no output links for any of them so there are no trigger conditions. When all the jobs complete in the Sequence, all succeeed except on which finishes with an abort status. The overall status of the Sequence comes back as 1. Are you saying that I would need to add a Terminator stage after each individual job to have the Sequence return an Abort status?

Mike
mikesherm
Participant

Post by mikesherm »

veerabusani185512,

Thanks. I was just thinking about that myself. I'll try it and let you know.

Mike
Mike Sherman
Senior Consultant
Creative Computing, Inc.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Log a warning for any activity that finishes with a status of other than OK. Detect this status in the controlling sequence.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You can specifically transfer control to a Terminator stage, but IMHO it's cleaner to only use 'OK' triggers and enable the compiler option to 'Automatically handle activities that fail'... it handles them by aborting the Sequence.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
mikesherm
Participant

Post by mikesherm »

Thanks to all who replied. I was successfully able to add a Terminator stage for all unsuccessful Jobs during a Job Sequence.

Mike
Mike Sherman
Senior Consultant
Creative Computing, Inc.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Did you caption it "Arnie"?
:lol:
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.