Unable to open descriptor file to createNo such file or dir

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rsomiset
Premium Member
Premium Member

Unable to open descriptor file to createNo such file or dir

Post by rsomiset »

I see the same similar issue posted but i couldnt resolve my issue.
My target is a dataset and the stage previous to that is a funnel

I am getting the error as

main_program: Unable to open descriptor file to create: No such file or directory

main_program: Error writing ORCHESTRATE File Data Set descriptor for '#jpDSADM_ROOT#//dev/datasets/#jpPROGAM_NAME#_Tm_Seg_USNSN_CAT.ds'.

main_program: Fatal Error: Could not create output file #jpDSADM_ROOT#//dev/datasets/#jpPROGAM_NAME#_Filename.ds.
filesystem related error

This is the error I tried touching the file in the directory i specified i could create a file and the Update policy i had given is Overwrite

Can you please help me resolve this problem

Thanks
Raju
--
Raj
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

It looks like your job parameters are not being resolved. Did you define them in job properties?

Mike
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Also the generated pathname contains a double slash. Not all UNIXes can manage this.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
rsomiset
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rsomiset »

Mike wrote:It looks like your job parameters are not being resolved. Did you define them in job properties?

Mike
All the job properties are defined and if i hardcode the file name and path i could actually run the job i dont understand why this is not working if i parameterize the path

Thanks
Raju
--
Raj
rsomiset
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rsomiset »

ray.wurlod wrote:Also the generated pathname contains a double slash. Not all UNIXes can manage this.
I have modified the double slash thing but then also i have the same error and as i have said above to mike i can run the job byu hardcoding the path and file name but if i am parameterizing i am not able to run it throws the same error again

Thanks
Raju
--
Raj
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

Check your parameter names carefully... case matters. You can also check the first entry in your job log to see what values your job parameters have picked up.

Or insert the parameters using "Insert job parameter..." instead of manually typing them.

Mike
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Exactly - when they show up in logs still wrapped in hash/pound signs like that, that means it has no idea they are Job Parameters and hasn't done the substitution. Sometimes you've copied a stage from another job and forgotten to add the parameters it requires, or you've typed the parameter name in by hand and gotten it wrong - misspelled or the case is wrong.

For example, do you really have a parameter called "jpPROGAM_NAME" with no "R" in in what I assume should really be "PROGRAM"? :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ruf888
Participant

Re: Unable to open descriptor file to createNo such file or

Post by ruf888 »

Hi,

I have the same problem as we upgraded our 7.5 version to 8.0. We used the same user defined environment variables in 8.1. But one of this parameters didn't work, I got the message no such file, could not open the file like yours.

If I hardcode the path for the file, it works fine. Then I deleted the parameter and created it new in admin. I deleted this parameter in the job parameter as well and added it again.
Then I started the designer again and it works now with this parameter.

Perhaps you can try this.
ruf888
Participant

Re: Unable to open descriptor file to createNo such file or

Post by ruf888 »

Hi,

I have the same problem as we upgraded our 7.5 version to 8.0. We used the same user defined environment variables in 8.1. But one of this parameters didn't work, I got the message no such file, could not open the file like yours.

If I hardcode the path for the file, it works fine. Then I deleted the parameter and created it new in admin. I deleted this parameter in the job parameter as well and added it again.
Then I started the designer again and it works now with this parameter.

Perhaps you can try this.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It appears that the migration process may have dropped the job parameter definitions from the job design.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.