Issue with encrypted environment variables being passed

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

w951bvc
Participant

Issue with encrypted environment variables being passed

Post by w951bvc »

I've just gone buggy for the last half hour searching for this topic, but don't see it discussed. Feel free to flame me if I've missed this discussion elsewhere.

So here's the situation. I have a sequencer which calls a job. If the job has an encrypted environment variable (EV) that the sequencer does not have, and the job default value is set to $PROJDEF, everything works fine.

However, if the sequencer has that SAME encrypted EV (also set to $PROJDEF) and I try to pass that value down to the job, the job aborts.

An interesting point - in that first case, when looking at the parms of the last run in Director shows the EV in encrypted form. In the second case, when being passed, the EV shows up decrypted. I'm kind of guessing in the second case the job is receiving a decrypted value, but trying to use it as an encrypted one.

Anyone run into this?

Yes, I could simply not pass the value, but that's not a viable solution for reasons I won't go into here.

Any thoughts?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Given that you can demonstrate that it's being passed en clair, I'd say you've encountered a bug which may or may not be a known bug. Your official support provider can (must, because you're paying them to) determine whether it's a known problem and, one way or the other, get it fixed.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.