Recover the deleted job

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ithirak_17
Participant

Recover the deleted job

Post by ithirak_17 »

I accidentally deleted one category.Is there any way to recover that?I am using datastage 7.5.2.help me to solve this.
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

Once the job is deleted there's no way I know of to recover it other than your normal system backups. That's why I have created an automated job that backs up every job in every project every single day (In Development).
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020
ithirak_17
Participant

Post by ithirak_17 »

asorrell wrote:Once the job is deleted there's no way I know of to recover it other than your normal system backups. That's why I have created an automated job that backs up every job in every project every single day (In Development).

If i made the server backup whether i can able to recover that job.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

A filesystem level backup of the entire server? No, I don't believe so, not just those few jobs. If you had an export of your projects, then yes and that is what Andy was referring to, I'd wager.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If nothing else has changed in the interim, make sure no-one is using the project and no jobs are running, then rename the following objects then restore the originals from backup:
DS_JOBS
DS_JOBOBJECTS
I_DS_JOBS
I_DS_JOBOBJECTS

If that is successful (in terms of recovering the deleted category), delete the renamed objects at some convenient time.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Heavy, heavy emphasis on the "If nothing else has changed in the interim" part.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's a matter of priorities. If you restore from backup as indicated, you get back the system as at the time of backup (assuming that the backup is a good one) and lose anything created/amended since that time.

Of course, were you to export the newer objects/changed objects before attempting the above process, you could have your cake and eat it.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

A heavier emphasis is probably indicated on the fact that this solution is for versions earlier than 8.0 only.

It's rather more difficult once you have version 8.0 and the unified metadata repository - so greater care should be taken in backing up - in taking regular exports of projects in which changes are being wrought.