Deletion of Dataset without Orchadmin command

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ReachKumar
Participant

Deletion of Dataset without Orchadmin command

Post by ReachKumar »

Hi,

I am new to DataStage. I created one dataset using ds job and i removed the dataset using rm command from unix( Without orchadmin command).

My question is, Does any information exist regarding dataset or total information has been removed.

If exists, what kind of information exists and how can we see that.

Please do the needful
Regards,
Kumar
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Bad Idea. What exactly did you remove - a file that ended with a .ds extension? If so, that's not the dataset but rather the dataset descriptor file that has all of the metadata, including the location of the actual dataset file(s) which could be located across multiple nodes. Deleting things manually like that generally just results in orphaned data clogging up your disk space.

Use the proper tools to do this.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

The files have the same name based on the directories in the config file. You can figure out what files belong to what datasets and remove them manually. As an admin I have scripts which find these orphaned files and remove them. Be careful and not remove a good file.
Mamu Kim
ReachKumar
Participant

Post by ReachKumar »

Hi kduke,

Can you make it clear?

Thanks for the replies guys.
Regards,
Kumar
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Look at the files in the directories specifed as resource disk in your configuration file. These files are the data files associated with Data Sets and File Sets. Somewhere in the very long, generated name of each is the name of the control file for the Data Set or File Set to which it belong(ed).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ReachKumar
Participant

Post by ReachKumar »

Yup..

My configuration file uses 2 nodes and i saw two files regarding the dataset in resource disk path.

So Can we remove these two files using rm or any other way.
And if we remove using rm command, will it remove all the information regarding orphan dataset.

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Kumar
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Yes, provided that the xyz.ds file (the descriptor file for the Data Set) has already been deleted, which the early part of this post seems to suggest is the case.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ReachKumar
Participant

Post by ReachKumar »

Thanks guys.. :)
Regards,
Kumar