Comment Job Activity in Job Sequence

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

josh.guffey
Participant

Comment Job Activity in Job Sequence

Post by josh.guffey »

Hi Everyone,

Is there a way to comment job activities within a job sequence? I have a requirement to turn jobs "off" and I know the customer will want them turned back on at some point in the future. I can of course export the files and save them or just simply remove the job activities, but I thought I would ask this question first. It would be nice if you could draw a box around n number of job activities and not have them executed at runtime.

I have searched the forum as well as the Parallel Job Developers Guide and was unable to answer this question.

Thanks in advance for reading this question.

Josh
Plagvreugd
Participant

Post by Plagvreugd »

Perhaps more a workaround than a solution...

You can choose the execution action for Job Activities in a Sequence. This drop down box gives you the option to (for example) just validate the job instead of running it.

Another option is to just make the sequence more intelligent (=more complex), by adding links/triggers and using a parameter that states whether the 'extra' jobs need to be run or not. You can use this parameter in triggers to make a condition on whether the job should run.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I'd use annotations to alert future developers about this potential requirement. Use some stand-out colour, such as royal blue text on sky blue background or bold red text on white background.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
josh.guffey
Participant

Post by josh.guffey »

Thanks Plagvreugd for the suggestion on modifying the execution action. I decided to go that route, as it was the quickest solution. Our group has a best practice of utilizing a UserVariable stage in which we can set/modify many parameters in our sub processes and parallel jobs and I can see how I could have incorporated that method as well. Thanks to everyone who took the time to read this post.