Director Job Log Empty

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

deyvie
Participant

Director Job Log Empty

Post by deyvie »

Hello Everyone,

We recently switched to an LDAP repository for authentication. Everything seems to be working fine except for the job log in the Director -- it does not populate. All we see are blank job logs. Did we miss anything during the switch?

Thanks.

Regards,
deyvie
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The only thing I can think of is that the user's credentials aren't sufficient for write access to the project directory and/or the log files.
deyvie
Participant

Post by deyvie »

ArndW wrote:The only thing I can think of is that the user's credentials aren't sufficient for write access to the project directory and/or the log files. ...
Thanks for your input ArndW. I tried to clear the log of an old job which was generated before the LDAP switch via the Director Client and was able to do so. When I re-ran the job, it finished successfully but no logs were populated. Can you point me to the location of the log files on the server? Also, I was under the impression that the jobs ran under the dsadmin user which should have sufficient access to the project directories and files. Am I mistaken regarding this?

Thanks again.

deyvie
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

At Version 8 you can configure DataStage to use a specific user, check your web IS admin tool to see what your settings are. The log files are stored in the project directory, they are named RT_LOGnnn where nnn is number.
deyvie
Participant

Post by deyvie »

Thanks for all your help. The issue was related to the logging changes for release 8.1. For some reason the logging for the operational repository (xmeta) was not working correctly. We changed the settings to use the local project level log files (RT_LOGxxx) and it worked.

Changes made in the DSParams file: (project level)

RTLogging=1
ORLogging=0
pjsimon20
Premium Member
Premium Member

IS 8.1 AIX 6.1

Post by pjsimon20 »

Does any body know why is this happening? I cannot view the job log when it is set to be stored in the repository.

I changed it to store in the project directory and it worked.

This is happening for a new installation in the production environment. Development and Test installations are working fine (storing logs in the repository). All are 2 tier installations.

The only difference between the Development, Test and the production is that Production has a firewall.

Thanks in advance for your help.