Is Basic Transformer recommended to be use in Parallel Job?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

shaminmin26
Participant

Is Basic Transformer recommended to be use in Parallel Job?

Post by shaminmin26 »

Hi All,

Is it recommended to use basic transformer in the parallel environment. My jobs are hitting the following errors:
Abnormal termination of stage JB_LU_HIST(BASIC_Transformer).#3.BASIC_Transformer
detected.

I had tried to switch them to be running on sequential mode, sometimes it will works well, while sometimes it will be hitting the above errors again.

Currently, i am running 4 nodes in parallel environment. Any ways to solve this problems?

Thanks in advance.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

When you do a reset of your job, what does the log entry "from previous run..." show?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There must be more information than what you provided. Have you reset the job after it aborts and, if so, is there any additional diagnostic information logged?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
srinivas.g
Participant

Post by srinivas.g »

Not recommended.it is giving poor performances

basic transformer invokes basic language.

Please translate server routine in to parallel routine.

One more way is use server shared container.
Srinu Gadipudi
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Although I would not recommend it, it is not necessarily slow and certain functions such as some ICONV/OCONV conversions don't exist in PX and are quickly solved in a BASIC transform stage. Be that as it may, the problem here is not whether or not to use the stage, but that it is being used incorrectly in this case. The OP still needs to add further information to answer the question.
shaminmin26
Participant

Post by shaminmin26 »

Hi,

When i reset the job, the job will still hit the same errors. Normally, i will have three solutions to overcome it :
1) Clean up the resources
2) Create a duplicate of the current job
3) Restart the services.

I am using basic transformer due to i am using server routines to do transformation of data.

I understand that basic transformer are not recommended to use with parallel jobs but in basic transformer, there are more functions available to use.
shaminmin26
Participant

Post by shaminmin26 »

Hi,

When i reset the job, the job will still hit the same errors. Normally, i will have three solutions to overcome it :
1) Clean up the resources
2) Create a duplicate of the current job
3) Restart the services.

I am using basic transformer due to i am using server routines to do transformation of data.

Any solutions that i can overcome this error without changing the server routines to parallel routines?
Kryt0n
Participant

Post by Kryt0n »

Have you tried a server job? If for no other reason than to make sure the routine is handling correctly. If it does handle correctly, is performance significantly different not to warrant using a server job?

Cut down your input rows, can you repeat the error? If so, try put a few log messages in to try find at what point it falls over.