Multiple values returned from the lookup

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

datskosaraju
Premium Member
Premium Member

Multiple values returned from the lookup

Post by datskosaraju »

Hi guys,

I need to do a look up against a database table and if multiple records are returned for the same keys, i need to upload another table with the keys that caused this in addition to the multiple records that are returned from them.
Can anyone help me out with this?

Thanks!
Last edited by datskosaraju on Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It's easier to go down a hill than up it but the view is much better at the top"
-Bennet,Arnold
swerajan
Participant

Post by swerajan »

Can you please be more specific on your requirement? i understand that when there are duplicates for a key from the table you will need to join with another table with those keys and fetch the lookup value from there?
datskosaraju
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by datskosaraju »

If duplicates are found for a key then , i need to just write the keys to a table.
For ex

Code: Select all

table1                                

key1 key2
 A        B
 A        C
 A        D

Table2

key1  key2  value
A         B        1
A         B        2
A         c        3

o/p Table3
errorcol1
A+B returns duplicates //(varchar field concatenation of both the keys that has duplicates)
"It's easier to go down a hill than up it but the view is much better at the top"
-Bennet,Arnold
swerajan
Participant

Post by swerajan »

Option 1: Use a join stage(inner join). Partition and sort the records based on the key fields in the input link of transformer Use stage variables and check if the current records keys match with the previous records keys- if yes write the error columns with the desired value (key1 : '+' : Key2 : 'returns duplicates') else leave it blank

Option 2: Use a sort stage with key change column created for the keys. then use a transformer. In it use a stage variable to check if the keychangcolumn=1 if yes then write the erro column with the desired value (key1 : '+' : Key2 : 'returns duplicates') else leave it blank
datskosaraju
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by datskosaraju »

thanks for the reply,

I need to generate error not just because of the duplicate keys but if different values returned for the same set of keys!. ( in the ex keys A+ B returns values 1 & 2)
-Bennet,Arnold
datskosaraju
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by datskosaraju »

sorry for confusing with the question.

The exact and brief question would be how do we check the condition whether the lookup returns multiple records?
-Bennet,Arnold
swerajan
Participant

Post by swerajan »

ok. so if same values are returned for the same set of keys what are you supposed to do?
Kryt0n
Participant

Post by Kryt0n »

datskosaraju wrote:thanks for the reply,

I need to generate error not just because of the duplicate keys but if different values returned for the same set of keys!. ( in the ex keys A+ B returns values 1 & 2)
Do as per Option 2 above on the lookup stream. Doing it after the lookup sounds like a waste of processing time... and more so should your input stream be significantly larger than the likelihood of this happening.