NLS button in Administrator greyed out

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

boxtoby
Premium Member
Premium Member

NLS button in Administrator greyed out

Post by boxtoby »

Guys,

I was wondering if anyone has seen this problem before?

When I sign in to Administrator the NLS button is greyed out so I can't change the project default NLS setting.

I have checked the credentials in SuiteAdmin and I am set up as DS and QS Administrator.

I can change the job default NLS setting in designer, but it would obviously be better to change the project rather than each job.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob.
Bob Oxtoby
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I can't check the different screens, but I think you are on the right path in looking at the Suite Admin settings - unless access is given correctly that button will not detect you as administrator and remani greyed out. Could it be the roles are set up, but not assigned?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Check the NLSMODE setting in the uvconfig file. If NLSMODE is 0 then NLS is not available.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Sreenivasulu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Sreenivasulu »

Has datastage been installed with NLS enabled ?

Regards
Sreeni
mgendy
Premium Member
Premium Member

here is the trick

Post by mgendy »

ray.wurlod wrote:Check the NLSMODE setting in the uvconfig file. If NLSMODE is 0 then NLS is not available. ...
here is the trick , if you've done all the abobve , and check uvconfig and found that NLS is set to 1 , but still the NLS button in Administrator is disabled , then check the file .uvconfig , it is a binary file which must be corrupted in your case , or the NLS settings in this file is set to be disabled , this file is different from uvconfig , 'notice the dot before its name' you will find this file hidden , try to copy it from a backup in order to have the right configration in uvconfig and .uvconfig

regards
Mohmmed Elgendy
Senior System Analyst
Data IntegrationTeam
Etisalat Egypt
+20 1118511161
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Good advice but wrong technique. The .uvconfig file will never be the same as uvconfig - for one thing it doesn't contain all the comments and, for another, it contains additional information, for example about the licensing. You can always regenerate the .uvconfig file using the uvregen command or one of the other techniques, all of which require you to restart the DataStage server.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
mgendy
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mgendy »

ray.wurlod wrote:Good advice but wrong technique. The .uvconfig file will never be the same as uvconfig - for one thing it doesn't contain all the comments and, for another, it contains additional information, for ex ...
hi ray,
I couldn't read the reset of the your reply because it is a premium content, and tell now i don't have the ability to be a premium member ,,,
but i think that the uvconfig is implemented in .uvconfig , so the configrations and attributes which is refrenced in uv config in fact implemented at .uvconfig , now lets imagin what happens if you enabled somthing in configration file , but actually is not present in executable ones . and vice versa ? that is what i mean ray ,,, thanks for your illustration if any

M.Gendy
Mohmmed Elgendy
Senior System Analyst
Data IntegrationTeam
Etisalat Egypt
+20 1118511161
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There is more in .uvconfig than in uvconfig. Since you don't have premium membership, you will just have to take my word for it.
mgendy
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mgendy »

ray.wurlod wrote:There is more in .uvconfig than in uvconfig. Since you don't have premium membership, you will just have to take my word for it. ...
Your word is enough for me sir :)
Mohmmed Elgendy
Senior System Analyst
Data IntegrationTeam
Etisalat Egypt
+20 1118511161
Tern
Premium Member
Premium Member

Solution

Post by Tern »

I faced this problem (greyed NLS button) too.

I checked that NLS installed and turned on in uvconfig (NLSMODE=1)
Additionally NLS is available and usable in stages from Designer.

After some tries and experiments I found that the problem appears because DS administrator user had no Local Administrator rights.
After adding DS admin to Administrators group the NLS button in Administrator client became available.

FYI. The user had full IS and DS rights. All checkboxes for roles and applications in web console user page were checked. The user was set to be both user and admin of IS. Yet, without local windows admin rights NLS button was disabled.

Not sure if this should be considered a bug or a feature.
Anyway, hope this helps.
Alexander
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Congratulations for discovering the solution. To my mind it is a bug, because it does not appear to be documented as a requirement.