Error in surrogate key generator stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

nagarjuna
Premium Member
Premium Member

Error in surrogate key generator stage

Post by nagarjuna »

Hi All ,

I am using a shared container . This container is having a surrogate key generator stage .
This shared container will receive some rejected data .So , i am generating a sequence number for these reject records and loading into error table .Sometimes while running the job i am getting the following error

Unable to write to state file /home/dsadm/SG/error_log_skey.sf: Invalid argument.
Unable to write to state file /home/dsadm/SG/error_log_skey.sf: Invalid argument.

Any suggestions are welcome

Thanks
Nag
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Sometimes? And 'sometimes' it works? :?

What do the times where it does not work have in common?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
nagarjuna
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by nagarjuna »

Yeah , I also got surprised with it . when i am running it manually its working .and when scheduled through ESP it showed that error .But i have checked the parameters and permissions are same in both cases .So , i am trying to comprehend the reason for it
chulett wrote:Sometimes? And 'sometimes' it works? :?

What do the times where it does not work have in common? ...
Nag
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Sounds more like a parameter rather than a permission problem. I'd triple-check what ESP is doing. However, does your ESP user have full access to "/home/dsadm/SG/error_log_skey.sf"?
Last edited by chulett on Wed May 13, 2009 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-craig

nagarjuna
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by nagarjuna »

Hi thanks for the reply .I have again cross checked the permissions on that file .It has write permissions on it .Any other suggestions ??
Nag
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Recognize that you need permissions all the way up the path, not just on the file itself... still good? I'm assuming it doesn't run under the "dsadm" user from ESP, btw.
-craig

nagarjuna
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by nagarjuna »

Hi Craig ,

Thanks for the reply .In the post i mentioned masked path .Its not actual path ( home/dsadm/SG/error_log_skey.sf --- > /usr/local/vtat_dss/data/keymgmt/SG/error_log_skey.sf ) .I have verified the permissions to all the way to that file and permissions are there .Today i wil schedule the job once again and will let you know .

Thanks
Nag
nagarjuna
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by nagarjuna »

Today i have run the same job from ESP .It got executed sucessfully .No idea why it got failed first time .( Credentials are same , permissions are same )
Nag
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Well, obviously something is changed or at least different about this run from the last one. The rub is trying to determine what.
-craig

tsamui
Participant

Update Sorrogate Key State File problem

Post by tsamui »

Hi,
I am getting the same error like
We have a surrogate key state file update utility job. The job is reading the surrogate key values from a dimension oracle table in ascending order and then updating the state file. The job is running fine when the input have about 100 records. But it is failing when the job process large no of records.

Any suggestion?

Thanks
TSamui
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Is this a sporadic error occurring at different positions? If so, this might be the same error that we have on this and I have a patch from IBM (that I still need to test). It seems that the generation works correctly, but that it produces that spurious error message.
canus
Participant

Post by canus »

ArndW wrote:Is this a sporadic error occurring at different positions? If so, this might be the same error that we have on this and I have a patch from IBM (that I still need to test). It seems that the generation works correctly, but that it produces that spurious error message.
We are having the similar error randomly. What's JR for this patch?