Filter versus transformer

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

swerajan
Participant

Filter versus transformer

Post by swerajan »

Hi,
I need to filter records based on some conditions to three different path. Which is the best stage to use, is it the transformer or the filter?? The data input that we handle is around 4 million.
divesh
Participant

Re: Filter versus transformer

Post by divesh »

I prefer doing thru the transformer. In the new version greater tha 8, there is no filter stage.
Kryt0n
Participant

Re: Filter versus transformer

Post by Kryt0n »

divesh wrote:In the new version greater tha 8, there is no filter stage.
Say what? Maybe in 8.2 but it's certainly there in 8.1.
And why would they take it out? Are there issues with it?

To original poster, try both, take the one that suits best, not as though it is a tough requirement with a large lead time...
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The Filter stage is in all 8.x versions.

Current advice from IBM is that the Transformer stage is to be preferred to the Filter or Switch stages, because the Transformer stage (nowadays) is compiled, while the other two are interpreted.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Magesh_bala
Participant

Switch Stage

Post by Magesh_bala »

Hi All, In my project we have million's data to filter out based on condition. could you please suggest me which is the best stage to use, Performance wise should be efficient. Transformer/Fillter/Switch. Thanks in advance.
Magesh_bala
Participant

Post by Magesh_bala »

Thanks for that, Stilll I am wondering to differentiate between Advantages of Transformer stage in version 8 with Filter and Switch stage.
PhilHibbs
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PhilHibbs »

Magesh_bala wrote:Thanks for that, Stilll I am wondering to differentiate between Advantages of Transformer stage in version 8 with Filter and Switch stage.
I think the processing of the SQL WHERE clause style condition in a Filter stage is less efficient than processing a compiled Transformer expression.
Phil Hibbs | Capgemini
Technical Consultant