Need help to filter records

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

reshmakr
Participant

Need help to filter records

Post by reshmakr »

I have few records like this

11, A,B,C
11,A,B,C
10,A,B,C
10,A,B,C
9,A,B,C

suppose the first column is ID. i need all the records which has the maximum id for the combination of 2nd,3rd and 4th column.
My output should be
11,A,B,C
11,A,B,C

how do it do it? Please help. Its urgent
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If it's urgent, sign up with your official support provider for priority service and learn just how much "urgent" costs.

DSXchange is an all-volunteer site, whose members post as and when they can. We don't do "urgent".
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
grimm336
Participant

Re: Need help to filter records

Post by grimm336 »

reshmakr wrote:I have few records like this

11, A,B,C
11,A,B,C
10,A,B,C
10,A,B,C
9,A,B,C

suppose the first column is ID. i need all the records which has the maximum id for the combination of 2nd,3rd and 4th column.
My output should be
11,A,B,C
11,A,B,C

If 2nd,3rd,4th column always have the same value the a look up on the first column can solve your problem...:D
if they are changing :? then go for a group by and the select the max...
grimm
Grace J.
Participant

Post by Grace J. »

Use Aggregator stage with key columns as 2nd, 3rd and 4th column and get maximum value of the 1st column
sasikiran
Participant

Re: Need help to filter records

Post by sasikiran »

reshmakr wrote:I have few records like this

11, A,B,C
11,A,B,C
10,A,B,C
10,A,B,C
9,A,B,C

My output should be
11,A,B,C
11,A,B,C

Use copy stage and make two streams, one into Aggregator and second one into Lookup. Get the maximum required ID from aggregator by grouping remaining 2,3, and 4 columns, after that do lookup and get the values of that pirticular ID (two records as you expected).
hope this will help you....
SasiKiran
reshmakr
Participant

Post by reshmakr »

Thanks Grimm , Grace and Sasikaran for your replies. I tried using remove duplicate and Join stage and i am getting the desired output.....

I treid aggregator as well.

And thanks ray for your suggetion. I could resolve it with the help of dsxchange and without contacting official support provider.

I guess "urgent" has cost you before.
shirishareddy
Participant

Hi

Post by shirishareddy »

reshmakr wrote:T I tried using remove duplicate and Join stage and i am getting the desired output.....

I treid aggregator as well.
U need the max ID records rt? In this senario how can remove duplicate will work.When u will use Remove duplicate automatically it will remove the duplicate records like
11,A,B,C
10,A,B,C
How can u will get the MAX ID records in out put?
11,A,B,C
11,A,B,C
Shirishareddy
reshmakr
Participant

Post by reshmakr »

Yes you can do it using remove duplicate followed by join stage.
I sorted the records such that i get the maximum id on top ad retain first record.
use a copy stage before the remove duplicate. Take anther link from there which has all the records.
now use inner join with maxid as the key.it will givve all the matching records