Getting rid of an invisible project

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

bcarlson
Premium Member
Premium Member

Getting rid of an invisible project

Post by bcarlson »

We are trying to create a new project in DS8, but are getting errors that it already exists. Obviously we must have tried to build this at some point. The problem is that we cannot find it anywhere. The Projects directory has no directory for it, and it is not listed when I run the dsjob -lprojects command.

We get the following error message when we try to create it (from the command line with dsadmin):
ERROR: DSR.ADMIN: A schema called 'eiw_lwd_auou' already exists. This must be dropped before the project can be created.

Status code = -131 DSJE_INVALIDPROJECTLOCATION
and we get the following when we try to delete it (from the command line with dsadmin):
ERROR: eiw_lwd_auou does not appear to be a DataStage project.

Status code = -139 DSJE_NOTAPROJECT
I am guessing there is an entry out there in the database, but not sure how to clean it up.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Brad.
It is not that I am addicted to coffee, it's just that I need it to survive.
sjfearnside
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sjfearnside »

I experienced a similiar problem with trying to delete a project that appeared to have already been deleted. The delete function was not able to clear all the data for the project from the xmeta. I would advise you to call your vendor support to resolve the issue.

For your reference, my records show the problem resolution from the vendor to have occurred Dec of 2007. I was using IS v8.0.1. At that time I beleive they were using ecase numbers and my number was 707769.

Hope this is helpful.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The schema is still there, this could be the result of a partial delete, i.e. someone trying it from the (undocumented) commands in DS. Open up an admin or TCL prompt, then enter "LIST UV.ACCOUNT", does the project show up? Then do a "LIST UV_SCHEMA" and see if the schema exists.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There is also a table in XMETA recording existence and location of projects - you may need also to delete the pertinent row from this table. The table name includes the string "PROJECT" so it should be easy to find.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
bcarlson
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by bcarlson »

ArndW wrote:The schema is still there, this could be the result of a partial delete, i.e. someone trying it from the (undocumented) commands in DS. Open up an admin or TCL prompt, then enter "LIST UV.ACCOUNT", do ...
Okay, I am trying to use $DSHOME/bin/uv and get library errors (even after sourcing $DSHOME/dsenv):
edwuat:/opt/IBM/uat/InformationServer/Server/Projects/dsadm> $DSHOME/bin/uv
exec(): 0509-036 Cannot load program /opt/IBM/uat/InformationServer/Server/DSEngine/bin/uv because of the following errors:
0509-150 Dependent module libgciudt6.so could not be loaded.
0509-022 Cannot load module libgciudt6.so.
0509-026 System error: A file or directory in the path name does not exist.
Then I tried $DSHOME/bin/dssh, which has worked for DS7. It says that the directory isn's setup for DataStage, do I want to set it up? If this requires that I be in a project directory, isn't that a catch 22? I am trying to find the project to begin with, so there is no directory.

Or can I go to any project directory to do this?

Thanks!

Brad.
bcarlson
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by bcarlson »

Never mind, I just went to a different project directory and ran the command and it was fine. The project did not exist in the LIST UV.ACCOUNT listing.

Ray, I can log into the XMETA database, but my normal id has no select privileges. What id would normally be used for this type of cleanup activity? The dsadmin, isadmin, etc.?

Thanks!

Brad.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I normally use isadmin, who has been given DBA privileges in XMETA. Or db2admin, ditto.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
bcarlson
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by bcarlson »

Okay, the record from the project table was cleared up, but now I get the following error message:

Code: Select all

ERROR: DSR.ADMIN: Error creating DR elements, Error was -1

Status code = -135 DSJE_ADDPROJECTFAILED
Next step?

Thanks!

Brad.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Assuming that you are dsadmin when (not) creating the project, verify that dsadmin has all privileges to the XMETA database and all tables therein (at least all those that relate to DataStage).
bcarlson
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by bcarlson »

ray.wurlod wrote:Assuming that you are dsadmin when (not) creating the project, verify that dsadmin has all privileges to the XMETA database and all tables therein (at least all those that relate to DataStage). ...
I'll check it out. So the theory is that maybe dsadmin is missing some permissions and didn't clean out all the old before adding new?

Brad.
bcarlson
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by bcarlson »

ArndW wrote:The schema is still there, this could be the result of a partial delete, i.e. someone trying it from the (undocumented) commands in DS. ...
Undocumented? Are you talking about the dsadmin comand and the -deleteproject option? Should I not be using this?

Brad.
ghila
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ghila »

bcarlson wrote:
ArndW wrote:The schema is still there, this could be the result of a partial delete, i.e. someone trying it from the (undocumented) commands in DS. ...
Undocumented? Are you talking about the dsadmin comand and the -deleteproject option? Should I not be using this?

Brad.

I already got some similar problems. The IBM tech support provides me with a script called "DStageWrapper81.sh" that can be used that way :
DStageWrapper81.sh -deleteproject <DOMAIN> <project>

That solved my problem. So you may try to contact them and see if that solved your problem.
Regards,

Daniel
bcarlson
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by bcarlson »

Thanks ghila, I'll look into it. Did you have a PMR or case number that I can reference when we talk to them?

Brad.
ghila
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ghila »

bcarlson wrote:Thanks ghila, I'll look into it. Did you have a PMR or case number that I can reference when we talk to them?

Brad.
Brad,

The PMR was 88246,999,706 but was originally opened because of the abnormal amount of time taken to delete a project.
The support sent us a procedure ( and the script ) to manually delete a project as well as a procedure to delete a job ( using same script ).
Regards,

Daniel
bcarlson
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by bcarlson »

Thanks for the info. Our Infrastructure guy found a similarly named script in the XMeta directory structure called DStageWrapper.sh. We are on 8.0.1 vs. 8.1, perhaps the *81.sh refers to v8.1?

He ran the script and it didn't find anything related to our project. Then he looked out in the Projects directory and found a directory there for the target project. To be honest, I have no idea how it got there, because my attempts failed and per my initial posting, the directory did not exist.

Anyway, he removed the directory and 'Voila!', project created. I think the main issue was the remnant record that we had to remove from the XMeta database. Still not sure how or when the project directory got in there, though.

So, problem solved. Thanks all!

Brad.