Datastage Admin

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

anil411
Premium Member
Premium Member

Datastage Admin

Post by anil411 »

Hi All,

Right now I am having permissions to view logs using Datastage Director and the developers do not have access to view the log. I have permissions to execute the jobs in production.

I want to provide all the developers to view the log using their indidual id but should not modify/run the jobs in production.

Please advice me what changes i need make in order to provide permissions to view only log using Datastage Director in Production without allowing changes to modify the jobs and also not to run the jobs by the developers.

Thanks for your Help.

Regards,
Anil
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Not possible unless you get very creative with permissions on the individual logs. When you upgrade to version 8 you get a "super operator" DataStage role that does what you require.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
anil411
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by anil411 »

Ray,

We want to view Production Log. The users should not execute/modify the Datastage Jobs but only view the log.

We have command center and they will schedule the jobs. The jobs are scheduled to run every day after 11:00 PM.

As an ETL Developer, I want to view the job log in production without having access to modify/run the jobs.

Appreciate your Help.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

As noted, not easily possible in your version. What people typically do in your case is build a system to automatically farm the DataStage job logs out of the repository into another more open one, say like a database, after every run. Then people are giving access to that.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

It may be possible. All the logs are in RT_LOG* directories. You would have to make these readable.
Mamu Kim
swades
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by swades »

Or write your detail job log into different project directory where all ETL developer have "read" access.

Remember - Archive your log files regularly.

Use this command in your unix shell script.

Code: Select all

dsjob 
-logdetail [-useid] <project> <job | jobid> <first event id> [<last event id>] 
As noted earlier, it is not possible to view log from DataStage director client without giving run/modify permission.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Well... the 'modify' part is simple enough with read only jobs or a protected project. It's the "and not run them" part that's the sticky in the wicket.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers