Unable to Import Table Definition

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

hiral.chauhan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Unable to Import Table Definition

Post by hiral.chauhan »

Hello Datastagers,

I have spent a considerable amount of time researching about this and could not figure out what is going on. And so I need your help!!

I'm trying to import table definitions of a DB2 table in Datastage. My usual course of action is Import - Table Definitions - ODBC Table Definitions. But when I try to import table definitions for this particular table, the Import Manager hangs. I finally kill the import table definitions dialog box and there is no table def imported.

We have been successful in importing table definitions for other tables with about 110 columns. This table has 160 columns. Not sure if this a column limit issue with DB2 or Datastage.

Oddly enough, we can access the table in DB2 without any problems.

I do not see any obvious problems with the definitions of any of the columns in the table. If anyone can point out where the issue is, then that will be great!!!

Thanks much,

Hiral Chauhan
Thanks,
Hiral Chauhan
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Hmmm... is there anything "funny" about this table's name, does it use special characters for instance? :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
hiral.chauhan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by hiral.chauhan »

I do not think so..

So the original name of the table was DEPOSIT in the DEV schema. We tried changing it to DEV.DEPOSIT2, DEV.DEP2, DEV.DEPOSITS, DEV.DEV and it still behaves the same way.

We even changed the name of the columns to generic names like COL_1 , COL_2 .... COL_159. And no luck :(
Thanks,
Hiral Chauhan
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

#and $ are the usual suspects but that's not the case here. Have you tried using the DB2 stages via the Plugin metadata option? Or the command line "orchdbutil" utility?
-craig

hiral.chauhan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by hiral.chauhan »

Hi Craig,

I tried using the Plug-in Metadata utility and it did let me import the table defs for that table. Thats awesome!!!

I cannot help but wonder, why I cannot ODBC into that table to import its defs? How is plug-in metadata different than ODBC?

My other concern is, I assume the orchdbutil utility can be used only if you have Enterprise Server configured. Is that true? (Actually, we do not have an Enterprise Server configuration at our place).

Thanks,
Hiral
Thanks,
Hiral Chauhan
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

No clue on the ODBC question. As to the "Enterprise" one, if you have PX jobs then you have the "Enterprise Edition" and can do anything "orch" related.
-craig

hiral.chauhan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by hiral.chauhan »

Oh! Thats good to know!!

Thanks once again!

-Hiral
Thanks,
Hiral Chauhan