Timeout waiting for mutex Error in Server Shared Container

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rajeev_prabhuat
Participant

Timeout waiting for mutex Error in Server Shared Container

Post by rajeev_prabhuat »

Hi,

We have a parallel job from which we are calling server shared container to generate CRC and the job is failing with the following errors mentioned below:

stdhub_Account_Pack_Hub.#0.stdhubCRCAcctidDF.Output_Acct_Table-Input.Input: ds_ipcgetnext() - timeout waiting for mutex

Attempting to Cleanup after ABORT raised in job stdhub_Account_Pack_Hub(stdhubCRCAcctidDF).#0.stdhubCRCAcctidDF.Transformer_0

Abnormal termination of stage stdhub_Account_Pack_Hub(stdhubCRCAcctidDF).#0.stdhubCRCAcctidDF.Transformer_0 detected

Please provide your inputs on how this can be resolved, we had searched the forum for Mutex and SPINSLEEP, SPINTRIES. But could not find resolution, please help those who had resolved this problem. Also please provide help on how to use SPINSLEEP & SPINTRIES.

Regards
Rajeev Prabhu
Regards,
Rajeev Prabhu
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

What operating system?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
prasad.bodduluri
Participant

Post by prasad.bodduluri »

just increase ipc stage bufffer and time out values. i think it will work.
prasad
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Prevention is always better than cure. Make sure that whatever it was that timed out does not need to do so. Often timeouts are caused by overloaded servers. In this particular case the problem appears to be in the IPC interface between the parallel job and the server shared container.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
rajeev_prabhuat
Participant

chulett wrote:What operating system? ...
Hi Ray,

It is Linux box, with Datastage 8.0.1.

Regards
Rajeev Prabhu
Regards,
Rajeev Prabhu
rajeev_prabhuat
Participant

prasad.bodduluri wrote:just increase ipc stage bufffer and time out values. i think it will work.
Hi Chulett,

We are not using IPC stage below is the flow of the jobs:

ODBC--> Transformer-->Container --> ODBC

In Container

inport --> CRC generation (transformer) --> outport

Are you telling to use IPC stage instead of Transformer? But thing is that this job is running for for some loads and not running for others!!! :-( Please help.

Regards
Rajeev Prabhu
Regards,
Rajeev Prabhu
rajeev_prabhuat
Participant

ray.wurlod wrote:Prevention is always better than cure. Make sure that whatever it was that timed out does not need to do so. Often timeouts are caused by overloaded servers. In this particular case the problem app ...
Hi Ray,

Sorry to say that I am not premium user, can you put the comments in nomal text :), so that I can understand the solution that you have provided. :(

Regards
Rajeev Prabhu
Regards,
Rajeev Prabhu
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Premium membership is one of the ways that DSXchange's hosting and bandwidth costs are funded. I do not propose to establish any precedent that undermines the ongoing operation of DSXchange.

The alternative is for you to obtain a premium membership. It's not expensive, at less than 30c (Rs 12) per day.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.