ORA-12571: TNS:packet writer failure

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

shails
Participant

Post by shails »

I am running a Job which reads the data from a dataset and writes the data to a Oracle Table. There are no column level transformations or filters in the Job. This is a simple Job which inserts/updates the source data to the target table on a daily basis.

Dataset -> Transformer -> Oracle Enterprise Stage

The Job is aborting consistently with the following error.
and when I restart the Job, the Job runs successfully.

We turned on the tracing at the database level/network level/Job level but no issues were seen in the trace files by the Oracle/IBM customer support. Right now Information Server is on windows and we recently migrated to AIX and tested the Jobs on AIX but there are no TNS errors reported on AIX.
Today when I ran the Jobs on windows every job that I start is failing with TNS error and our DBA informed me that he is seeing blocking locks on the tables. Does the blocking locks cause this error? If so why is the same job with the same data running fine on AIX? Is this error environment related(Windows Vs AIX) or network related? I worked on multiple projects but haven't encountered this error in my earlier projects.

Moving to AIX will help us overcome this issue but I want to understand the root cause of this problem. Can someone help me out?

Thanks in advance for your inputs.
Sreenivasulu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Sreenivasulu »

Its nothing to do with datastage

TNSPacket failure is a connectivity issue in your network wherin the ping does not return packets .

Regards
Sreeni
shails
Participant

Post by shails »

Thanks for your reply.
But why other applications that connect to the same database server are not throwing the same error.
Sreenivasulu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Sreenivasulu »

Sorry if i have put it wrongly.
TNSPacket error means you are not able to connect to the database from datastage.

Have you installed the oracle client on the datastage server ?

Regards
Sreeni
shails
Participant

Post by shails »

Oracle client is installed on the Datastage Server. If I restart the Job, the Job completes successfully.
shails
Participant

Post by shails »

Did anyone encounter this issue earlier?
Sreenivasulu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Sreenivasulu »

Have encoutered this issue many times but has only one solution.
It has nothing to do with datastage. :)

Regards
Sreeni
shails
Participant

Post by shails »

Since it has nothing to do with datastage, Can you please tell me what can be done to avoid this error? Any database related settings/ network settings that can be configured?
Thanks.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Have you tried googling for "ORA-12571", there's all kinds of resources out there for this error and the things you can try to trouble-shoot it.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
shails
Participant

Post by shails »

Thanks Craig.
We tried all possible options but the oracle trace files doesn't tell anything about the problem.