Records getting rejected

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Scorpio007
Participant

Records getting rejected

Post by Scorpio007 »

I am using ODBC_Enterprise stage to pull data from database - SQL Server to the target stage Oracle_Enterprise Database - Oracle. I have over 20,000 records to pull from source to target. There are 2 records getting rejected with sqlcode:-1438 .

I am suspecting this is a data size/precision issue. I am mapping data from datatype - money size - 8 in SQLServer to Float in Oracle. I have size big enough to accomodate the value in Oracle. When I do a direct insert with the same value in Oracle it works fine but fails using the datastage :roll: Any help will be appreciated :P
hiral.chauhan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by hiral.chauhan »

I googled your sqlcode.

-1438: value larger than specified precision allows for this column.

Does that ring a bell?
Thanks,
Hiral Chauhan
Scorpio007
Participant

Post by Scorpio007 »

I have done that myself. My datatype in Oracle table(Size and precision) match what I have in Datastage and I am able to insert the same value directly in Oracle with an insert statement.
hiral.chauhan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by hiral.chauhan »

I would examine the reject records first and then try to get a clue from the director log.

What does the director log say about the two reject records? any warnings or error messages?
Thanks,
Hiral Chauhan
Scorpio007
Participant

Post by Scorpio007 »

The director log says

-1438: value larger than specified precision allows for this column

not of much help.
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

Actually, that's quite a bit of help. What is means is that a number in one of those records is too big for the decimal mask you are using. For example, you are trying to write out 12345.78 in a Decimal 6,2 field. Check out some of the larger numbers against the masks you are using. If you need help, look for some previous posts I know some of us have written on sizing decimal masks.

Note: Do not assume that DataStage and Oracle use exactly the same syntax when specifying decimal masks...
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020
Scorpio007
Participant

Post by Scorpio007 »

The 2 records that are getting rejected are the ones that have largest values in the amount column.
I used in my target Oracle database and the target stage Float(25,5)

The value I have in my source database SQL Server(money 8) is 1000000000.0000
All the records(including the 2 reject records) passes though all the intermediate stages but gets rejected at the target Oracle_enterprise stage.
dxk9
Participant

Post by dxk9 »

Try to collect those two rejects in a sequential file and examine the values and length of all the fields in those records.

This will help you in detecting where the problem is actually with.

Regards,
Divya
hiral.chauhan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by hiral.chauhan »

Scorpio007 wrote:I used in my target Oracle database and the target stage Float(25,5)
Even if you define your column as a Float(25,5) in your target Oracle database stage, your database will reject out the rows. In order for these two rows to land in your database, you will have to change the properties (meaning make your column a Float(25,5)) in your Database.

Hope this helps.

-Hiral
Thanks,
Hiral Chauhan
Scorpio007
Participant

Post by Scorpio007 »

I think I said
"target Oracle database and the target stage Float(25,5)"

sorry about not communicating clearly.
hiral.chauhan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by hiral.chauhan »

hmmmm. Sorry about that..

I would probably analyze those two records on the source side then. I would try to find out what makes them different than the rest. We had that kind of issue once and it turned out that we had some hex characters in our incoming record that made the target field bigger than what it was. May be you want to send the rejected records into a sequential file, download that file as a txt and view it under a hex editor.

Have you tried to see if those records make it to a varchar? What happens if you tried to bring it through just as text?
Thanks,
Hiral Chauhan