Restarting an aborted job sequence

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Griffin07
Premium Member
Premium Member

Restarting an aborted job sequence

Post by Griffin07 »

Hi, I have a parent job that runs all my job sequences, if a child job sequence aborts I have it set to be restartable. so when the parent job goes to restart the child job sequence if any of the paramaters are differrent from the origional run the parent job aborts with this message

RunETLJobSequenceProcess.CBBEXT_IM_ClntProdt.JobControl (fatal error from DSRunJob): Job control fatal error (-14)
(DSRunJob) Job EE_Seq_BB_ClientProductPull.CBBEXT_IM_ClntProdt appears not to have started after 60 secs

this works ok in 7.5.2, we are starting to convert to 8.1, anyone run into this yet?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

:? I don't see how the two are related.

There's a completely different message logged when a Sequence job is restarted with different parameter values, all it does is note the difference and move on. And it's not a fatal message or even a warning, it's a simple informational one. Searching the forums for that -14 timeout error would reveal a completely different set of circumstances that produce that. Usually.

How certain are you that one causes the other? Have you reported this to your official support provider to see if it is a known issue?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Griffin07
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Griffin07 »

here is what I can see from the logs: once the child job sequence is started and it registers the warning that the paramamters are different appears to revert control back to calling job. but it looks like because the child job was in a restart status that when it loged the warning (we have warning limit set to 1 so the first warning causes the job to abort) the child job aborted again and the parent job was looking to run it but could not because it was aborted. - this all has worked find in 7.5.2 for years. I have reported it to IBM as part of an existing case, where when a job sequence resets a job and even when it runs to completion ok the job sequence is still setting the job status as finished (see log) which is requstering as a warning and causes the job sequence to abort.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Odd... please keep us in the loop here, let us know what IBM comes back to you with on this issue.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
rkacham_DSX
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Restarting an aborted job sequence

Post by rkacham_DSX »

Hi ,
We are having similar issue any updates on this ..did this issue got resolved..
Thanks,
Ramesh