metadata in csv import it into datastage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

octogun
Participant

metadata in csv import it into datastage

Post by octogun »

Hi -

We have about 100 excel files which contain table layout information ( Column names, Data Types )
Is there a way to import these into one of the folder in DataStage Designer.

We tried using Sequential import but that function requires a file with column names and data. Our file has no data in it.

If there is no option available we will have to find other ways to import table definitions.

thanks
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

How is the column name provided ?

You can import the column names alone as first line being header.
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

If you have 100 of them, it may be simplest just to write a program that creates a reverse-engineered classic .dsx or xml formatted .dsx file. Create a simple DS Table definition and save the .dsx. Open it up. You'll see that, if it's just a Table Definition, the structure is fairly easy to replicate....using DataStage even, or java, etc.

Years ago I had a job that did it...perhaps some people on the forum have such a thing...but in short order I'll bet you can easily create one.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
octogun
Participant

Post by octogun »

Something in the same lines, we have a tool which will directly convert ABI graphs or other ETL's to DataStage.
We may go that route.
Also if creating metadata is one time thing why not go that way.
will see what happens.

thanks
eostic wrote:If you have 100 of them, it may be simplest just to write a program that creates a reverse-engineered classic .dsx or xml formatted .dsx file. Create a simple DS Table definition and save the .dsx. Open it up. You'll see that, if it's just a Table Definition, the structure is fairly easy to replicate....using DataStage even, or java, etc.

Years ago I had a job that did it...perhaps some people on the forum have such a thing...but in short order I'll bet you can easily create one.

Ernie
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

We did it Ernie's way using XML. It worked great. I wrote it in VB. If I find the code then I will post it.
Mamu Kim