APT_CombinedOperatorController(1) - ...combinee graph

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

prasad111
Premium Member
Premium Member

APT_CombinedOperatorController(1) - ...combinee graph

Post by prasad111 »

Hi,

We were moving projects from one server to another, when we moved to new environment some of the server and parallel job run fine but some of the parallel jobs shows the error:

Code: Select all

APT_CombinedOperatorController(1): Error when checking operator: A cycle was found in the combinee graph.
Please let me know is there anything we need to set for this....

Thanks..
miwinter
Participant

Post by miwinter »

On one of your problem jobs, set environment variable APT_DISABLE_COMBINATION to True and rerun. Check the log for other messages/warnings that might help determine root cause and at least help identify the specific operator throwing the error.
Mark Winter
<i>Nothing appeases a troubled mind more than <b>good</b> music</i>
prasad111
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by prasad111 »

Strangely when I set this APT_DISABLE_COMBINTATION parameter to True the job ran fine without any errors ....
and we don't want this parameter to set to True for all the jobs ... how can we identify what is the issue could be?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Without knowing your job design it is impossible to say. Dumping the score may help, when you re-enable operator combination, to identify where a cycle may be being created.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
prasad111
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by prasad111 »

The same job works fine in one environment and doesn't work in another environment, I don't think it is issue with the job design...... it is something related to the project settings or the patches not in sync .... any suggestions for comparing between the servers?
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Are your APT_CONFIG files the same, or have the same number of nodes, in both installations? Often a job developed on a 1-node site will show errors when run with more nodes (the opposite is not true, which is why jobs should always be developed on a 2 or more node configuration).
Kryt0n
Participant

Re: APT_CombinedOperatorController(1) - ...combinee graph

Post by Kryt0n »

prasad111 wrote:Hi,

APT_CombinedOperatorController(1): Error when checking operator: A cycle was found in the combinee graph.
Who do we have to contact to get our bike back?? :roll:
prasad111
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by prasad111 »

The job was developed in single node. Both the environments are running with single node, the job runs fine in the old environment and it doesn't run with the new environment.

Here is the strange part, the same job run fine in the new environment with the multi-node[with 2 node] ..
with the more search, I found out in V8.0.1 the similar issue and resolution

If running in a single-node configuration, a job might hang or fail to run with the error "A cycle was found in the combined graph. Failed describing Operator Combinations." 
Workaround 
Set the APT_NO_ONE_NODE_COMBINING_OPTIMIZATION environment variable. (eCase 116847)
I am wondering is there anything for 7.5.1A .. anyone know about this?