Datastage environment

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

cdw
Premium Member
Premium Member

Datastage environment

Post by cdw »

Hi,

We are planning to use DSEE with oracle 10g. Source and target both will be in Oracle 10g. DSEE will be installed on the sever where source DB is installed. Target DB is on different LPAR. We are planning to use Oracle Enterprise Stage to get performance benifit. I am assuming that for DB, usually scratch disk path is the server on which target DB is installed. However, that need DSEE parallel engine to be installed/run on target DB server. To avoid licensing cost we do not want to run DSEE parallel engine on target DB but still would like to achieve best of performance from DSEE.

Please let me know if my thinking is correct and what will be the impact of not having scratch disk on target DB server.

Thanks in advance.
-CDW
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard.

Scratch disk should always be on the same machine as the DataStage operators are executing - in an SMP environment this is the machine on which DataStage server is installed.

Scratch disk is accessed frequently and randomly when it is being accessed. You do not want to introduce network latency into scratch disk operations.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.