Mutiple Instance Invocation ID

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

pklcnu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by pklcnu »

priyadarshikunal wrote:also in case of run time error, can you please post the error message?
I am getting problem while running the job, compilation is fine . I am not passing the InvocationID as parameter. I am ticking the check box 'Allow Mutiple Instance' in the sequence job properties. When I click the Run button it is asking for Invocation ID by default along with other parameters . When I enter any value in to this default Invocation ID field it is running fine as long as it is text or number but if I enter any Dot or # value it is throwing error at entry level it self.

Your input will be much appreciated.......thanks
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

What's your exact "7.x" version of DataStage?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
pklcnu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by pklcnu »

chulett wrote:What's your exact "7.x" version of DataStage? ...
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Works fine for me on 7.5.2. Use the "..." External Parameter Helper to pick the right value from the Start Loop stage rather than typing it by hand. Should end up looking something like this:

#StartLoop_Activity_Stage_Name.$Counter#
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
priyadarshikunal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by priyadarshikunal »

pklcnu wrote:
priyadarshikunal wrote:also in case of run time error, can you please post the error message?
I am getting problem while running the job, compilation is fine . I am not passing the InvocationID as parameter. I am ticking the check box 'Allow Mutiple Instance' in the sequence job properties. When I click the Run button it is asking for Invocation ID by default along with other parameters . When I enter any value in to this default Invocation ID field it is running fine as long as it is text or number but if I enter any Dot or # value it is throwing error at entry level it self.

so basically you sequence itself is multi-instance not the JOB?
Priyadarshi Kunal

Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped. :wink:
pklcnu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by pklcnu »

priyadarshikunal wrote:
pklcnu wrote:

so basically you sequence itself is multi-instance not the JOB?
I tried both......Job and the sequence with multiple instace
priyadarshikunal
Premium Member
Premium Member

You can pass the invocation ID only to a down stream multi-instance job/sequence from start loop activity. Not when running the Parent job itself.

Are you running that sequence manually 20 times or through script or other sequence?
Priyadarshi Kunal

priyadarshikunal
Premium Member
Premium Member

pklcnu wrote: I tried both......Job and the sequence with multiple instace
do it like that

a sequence (not multi-instance).

Start loop activity ->(multi-instance job) -> end loop activity

in that multi-instance job - open properties go to invocation ID
use external Parameter Helper to pick the right value from the Start Loop stage. Compile and then run.

and then let us know the results.
Priyadarshi Kunal

pklcnu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by pklcnu »

priyadarshikunal wrote:You can pass the invocation ID only to a down stream multi-instance job/sequence from start loop activity. Not when running the Parent job itself.

Are you running that sequence manually 20 times or through script or other sequence?
The job runs through sequence only for 20 times for the 20 values mentioned in the start loop activity........i am not running the job individually.......just one click on run button of sequence runs the loop job for 20 times....
priyadarshikunal
Premium Member
Premium Member

pklcnu wrote:The job runs through sequence only for 20 times for the 20 values mentioned in the start loop activity........i am not running the job individually.......just one click on run button of sequence runs the loop job for 20 times....
My first statement still hold true.

Are you doing in same way what I proposed in my earlier post?
Priyadarshi Kunal