problem while using seq file and funnel stages.

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

suneyes
Participant

problem while using seq file and funnel stages.

Post by suneyes »

Hi,
I am struck while using a funnel stage.
I am writing the output of a transformer to a sequential file say f1.
I have another file f2 which I need to append to f1 at the begining.

for this I tried using a funnel stage.It didn't work because sequential file can have a single inputlink or a single o/p link.

ofcourse we can do the funneling operator in another job.
but is there any way that this can be done in a single job???

Any inputs from u guys are appreciated..
sun
mandyli
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mandyli »

Hi,
First you send the contents of file f2 to funnel , then send the transformer output to the funnel. Set Funnel Type to "Sequence" in stage properties page. Ensure the link from file f2 is the link 0 in "Link Ordering" tab of the funnel properties.

Then direct the output of funnel to a sequential file.
suneyes
Participant

Post by suneyes »

mandyli wrote:Hi,
First you send the contents of file f2 to funnel , then send the transformer output to the funnel. Set Funnel Type to "Sequence" in stage properties page. Ensure the link from file f2 is the link 0 in "Link Ordering" tab of the funnel properties.

Then direct the output of funnel to a sequential file.
Thanks mandyli..Your suggestion worked for me..
sun
changming
Participant

I wonder this may not work

Post by changming »

I did a simple test, it did not work. records from source A and source B are writen to fileC though Funnal stage, which I set funnel type to Sequence. I checked the fileC, the order of the data are not as defined. records are random fixed SourceA and SourceB. I don't know where I am wrong. I think better to use unix comand to cat two files.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

changming - if you specify link ordering you will get the order that you specify.
changming
Participant

Post by changming »

ArndW wrote:changming - if you specify link ordering you will get the order that you specify. ...
Hi, ArndW, that is also what I thought it should be. But I do see the records are all mixed from different source. BTW, the link order are set automatically by datastage in a default order. But if I set the excution mode to Sequential, records order in the ouput file is same as I specified.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

How many nodes are in your configuration file? If more than 1 and you are not using sequential mode then of course the order in your output will be different, depending on the hashing algorithm used with parallel processing.