How to apply a Patch to Datastage Designer

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

devanars
Premium Member
Premium Member

How to apply a Patch to Datastage Designer

Post by devanars »

we have an issue of not opening properties of a stage so that we have received a patch to fix the problem. we have noticed instruction to apply a patch for ds server in the documentation. but not able to find for the client. so can anybody help

Thanks
ddevdutt
Participant

Re: How to apply a Patch to Datastage Designer

Post by ddevdutt »

From the Command line prompt,

C:\IBM\InformationServer\ASBNode\apps\jre\bin\java.exe -jar updater.jar -i C:\IBM\InformationServer -p <patch_name> -console

You will need Admin rights to do this. I guess that's understood :)
DD

Success is right around the corner
devanars
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by devanars »

our server is unix and client(designer) is on windows. we need to apply a patch to datastage designer but not to the server. you have given the syntax for the server i believe.
nagarjuna
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by nagarjuna »

C:\IBM\InformationServer\ASBNode\apps\jre\bin\java.exe -jar updater.jar -i C:\IBM\InformationServer -p <patch_name> -console -- This has to be executed from the client machine ...
Nag
ddevdutt
Participant

Post by ddevdutt »

You will need to execute that command from the command line prompt of your Windows PC where your client resides.
ddevdutt wrote:From the Command line prompt,

C:\IBM\InformationServer\ASBNode\apps\jre\bin\java.exe -jar updater.jar -i C:\IBM\InformationServer -p <patch_name> -console

You will need Admin rights to do this. I guess that's understood :)
DD

Success is right around the corner
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Can you post the instructions you received? I don't see any 'Designer' fix would be run on the server... :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

devanars wrote:our server is unix and client(designer) is on windows. we need to apply a patch to datastage designer but not to the server. you have given the syntax for the server i believe.
Clearly this is not the case, because a Windows pathname to installer.jar was given.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
devanars
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by devanars »

we have received this link from the vendor
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.w ... lllogfiles
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Those seem like... generic instructions and not specific to any particular patch, and as noted are for server side patches. If you truly received a client side 'Designer patch' I don't see how these apply, they should have given you specific instructions for this.

And Ray, someone else piped in with the updater jar syntax, again generic for server patches it seems to me. :?
-craig

devanars
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by devanars »

Those seem like... generic instructions and not specific to any particular patch, and as noted are for server side patches. If you truly received a client side 'Designer patch' I don't see how these apply, they should have given you specific instructions for this.

Yes you are right. those are all generic instructions. so my question also like how can we apply a patch to designer. as you know the issue is 'not able to open stage properties' then we got a patch from vendor
devanars
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by devanars »

Yes you are right. those are all generic instructions. so my question also like how can we apply a patch to designer. as you know the issue is 'not able to open stage properties' then we got a patch from vendor
devanars
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by devanars »

devanars
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by devanars »

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Ask your vendor. They gave you the patch, they should give you the appropriate instructions as well. You sure there's nothing like a 'readme' in the zip file I assume you got for this?
-craig

devanars
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by devanars »

Yes i got Read me file with that i.e

PATCH NAME : rollup_RU1_MCM_windows_81
COMPONENT : DataStage Client
TIERS : Client
OPERATING SYSTEM : Windows
SUITE VERSION* : 8.1.0.0
UNINSTALL** : Supported

* This patch requires that IBM Information Server suite and component be
installed at the exact level shown and no other.

** See the generic patch installation instructions for information on
uninstalling patches.

PROBLEM: Rollup patch for DataStage Multi-Client Manager

DETAILS:

Contains fixes for:

JR32083: Error message shown when launching a 7.5.2 Designer client, after
switching to 7.5.2 using the 8.0.1 FP1 version of the Multi-Client
Manager.
JR32003: DataStage 7.5.3 desktop icons are totally removed when 8.1 is
selected. DataStage 7.5.3 shortcuts on the program menu all get
changed to admin.exe (from manager.exe, director.exe, dsdesign.exe).
CQ00146828: Multi-client manager fails to correctly update start menu and
desktop short cuts on Japanese client machines.

Also see specific install instructions and related known issues below.

RESOLUTION:

Rollup patch

REQUIRED PREREQUISITE PATCHES:

None

INCOMPATIBLE PATCHES:

None

REPLACES:

JR32083, JR32003

PATCHED FILES:

This patch modifies the following files, shown from the root of the IBM
Information Server installation:

MCM/DataStageSwitcher.dll
MCM/DataStageSwitcherCHS.dll
MCM/DataStageSwitcherCHT.dll
MCM/DataStageSwitcherDEU.dll
MCM/DataStageSwitcherENU.dll
MCM/DataStageSwitcherESP.dll
MCM/DataStageSwitcherFRA.dll
MCM/DataStageSwitcherITA.dll
MCM/DataStageSwitcherJPN.dll
MCM/DataStageSwitcherKOR.dll
MCM/DataStageSwitcherPTB.dll
MCM/MultiClientManager.exe

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:

Generic patch installation instructions are available with this download and
are also be available separately here:

http://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss? ... wg27012519

PATCH-SPECIFIC INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:

JR32003:
Some start menu and desktop shortcuts may have been corrupted by the the
non-patched Multi-Client Manager and will need fixing manually. These
shortcuts are:

* Start Menu: Package installer (6.x, 7.x, DataStage Server install on Windows only). Right click the Start
button and choose "Explore All Users". Browse to "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs
\Ascential DataStage". Delete the existing Package installer shortcut and create a new one. By default
the package installer is located in c:\Ascential\DataStage\Package\Setup.exe
* Start Menu: Obsolete versions of Multi-Client Manager (7.x). Right click the Start button and choose
"Explore All Users". Browse to "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Ascential DataStage"
and delete the old Multi-Client Manager shortcut
* Start Menu: Unnamed shortcut pointing to the 7.x Manager client. Right click the Start button and choose
"Explore All Users". Browse to "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Ascential DataStage"
and delete the unnamed shortcut
* Desktop: Unnamed shortcut pointing to the 7.x Manager client. Right click the shortcut and delete it.

JR32083:
This patch will prevent registry corruption occurring in the future, but
existing corruption will need to be fixed manually. The following describe
the steps to fix this (change paths as appropriate).

* With 7.5.2 set as the current version, execute the command:

regsvr32 "c:\program files\ascential\datastage7.5.2\iawrapper.dll"

* With 8.0.1 FP1 set as the current version, execute the command:

regsvr32 "c:\ibm\informationserver\clients\classic\IAWrapper.dll"

Other known issues:

CQ00152499:
For non-English systems, installing DataStage 8.1 clients to co-exist with 8.0.1 clients can produce duplicate
shortcuts in the Start Menu and Desktop (one English and one non-English). This can cause confusion when using
the Multi-Client Manager to switch versions as both 8.0.1 and 8.1 shortcuts are available.

The workaround is to delete the English 8.0.1 shortcuts after installing 8.1 and before using the Multi-Client
Manager:

1. Remove English 8.0.1 shortcuts from the Desktop (Administrator, Designer and Director)
2. Remove English 8.0.1 shortcuts from the Start Menu (Administrator, Designer and Director)

CQ00143375:
For non-English systems, switching between 8.1 and 8.0.1 clients will not change the Start Menu shortcut for
the Administrator client.

Workaround

1. Right-click the Windows start button, and then click Explore to open the Windows Explorer at your Start
Menu directory.
2. Expand the Start Menu\Programs\IBM Information Server directory.
3. Select the IBM WebSphere DataStage and QualityStage Administrator shortcut in that directory and move it
to the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\IBM Information Server directory to overwrite
any existing entry. Note: Be sure to move the shortcut. Do not copy the shortcut.

The correct shortcut is available after you start and use the Multi-Client Manager.