Bug in pivot stage ???

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

nagarjuna
Premium Member
Premium Member

Bug in pivot stage ???

Post by nagarjuna »

Hi ,
Today i developed a parallel job .My requirement is to do horizontal pivot .So , i have used the pivot stage .
The job is getting aborted after having a warning arthimetic overflow.So , i have developed another simple job which has pivot stage and that job is working fine .
After an ordeal of 1 hr , i came to know that bigint field is giving the problem Further i observed that whenever the input is having a field of datatype bigint job is failing .

Just i want to know is it a bug or it is as expected ? Is there any restriction on the datatypes to use in pivot stage ?

Please throw some light on this .

Thanks in advance .
Nag
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Is the output field also BigInt, or only Integer or smaller? That would be the typical cause of an arithmetic overflow.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
nagarjuna
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by nagarjuna »

Thanks ray for the reply ...
In my case ..Output also BIGINT ...Is it expected behaviour ??
Nag
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Not expected. After all the Pivot stage does not change the value - it only moves it to a different place. What happens if you change the output to unsigned BigInt (int64)?
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
nagarjuna
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by nagarjuna »

I am getting the same result for unsigned Bigint also .Its giving a warning of ARTHIMETIC OVERFLOW and after that fatal message as :

Resource bundle corresponding to message key DSTAGE-T0DC-0064 not found ! Check that DSHOME or APT_RESPATH is set .
Nag
nagarjuna
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by nagarjuna »

Can anybody test a simple job with pivot stage and giving one of the field as BIGINT in output and input of pivot stage ?
Nag
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The resource bundle message is unrelated to the arithmetic overflow, I believe. The resource bundle message is about finding the text to accompany some particular error code.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

nagarjuna wrote:Can anybody test a simple job with pivot stage and giving one of the field as BIGINT in output and input of pivot stage ?
A version 8 job, I assume... 8 dot what?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
nagarjuna
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by nagarjuna »

Version : 8.0.1 ( Information Server )
Nag
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

What does your official support provider have to say?
nagarjuna
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by nagarjuna »

We have submitted the case to support ...We are yet to hear from them ...But , before that i want to find out if its working for anybody else here
Nag
anshul_roy
Participant

Re: Bug in pivot stage ???

Post by anshul_roy »

I tried doing the same. Luckily it ran successfully but the viewdata is giving error.
Anshul
nagarjuna
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by nagarjuna »

Hi Anshul ,

Could you please eloborate on problem you are facing in viewing the data ??
Nag
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

FWIW, built an 8.1 job with the Pivot Enterprise stage using BigInt fields and it works just fine. And I can't imagine any kind of View Data error would be relevant to this particular topic.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
nagarjuna
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by nagarjuna »

Thank you very much craig for testing .Hope you have given datatype as Bigint in both i/p,o/p of pivot and test data is also Big int ( value greater than int ) .I will update you all once i receive any information from my support team
Nag