Parameters

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

shirishareddy
Participant

Parameters

Post by shirishareddy »

I have parameters in a table. how can i link the parameters table to the job?
Shirishareddy
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

If you explain what you mean by "link" you would get a better answer. This type of functionality has been done often in the past - but there are many means of solving it.

Usually you have a Job Sequence which calls a job that access the tables to get the appropriate parameter values. These are then either passed back to the job sequence directly or written to disk and then used to call subsequent jobs with the appropriate values.

Not incredibly complex, but not quite trivial, either.
preetiv
Participant

Post by preetiv »

ArndW wrote:If you explain what you mean by "link" you would get a better answer. This type of functionality has been done often in the past - but there are many means of solving it.

Usually you have a Job Sequence which calls a job that access the tables to get the appropriate parameter values. These are then either passed back to the job sequence directly or written to disk and then used to call subsequent jobs with the appropriate values.

Not incredibly complex, but not quite trivial, either.
How can we pass the values fetched from the job directly to the sequence?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Many ways. The easiest is to use a server job and put the values into the job's user status area. You can write them to a file and have the sequence job read the file. And so on.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
shirishareddy
Participant

Hi

Post by shirishareddy »

i have 30 jobs, for all the jobs i need to pass 100 parameters to all the jobs.
This all parameters are in one table, so how ccan i call the table to all the jobs. I need this at job level ,not sequence level.
Shirishareddy
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

As has been answered twice in this thread already, you need 2 steps, the first to get values from your table and the second to use those values to call jobs. You cannot set parameter values inside the job that uses those values, therefore you need a sequence that does this work and then calls the job.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Right, you need something, some other process to get / set parameters and run the jobs. That could be (from easiest to hardest) a Sequence job, a script or a hand-coded 'job control' job or batch.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
throbinson
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by throbinson »

The classic dsxchange double play! Chulett to Wurlod to ArndW. If I am interpreting this correctly, you've got on average 3 parameters per job. What exact purpose do these parameters serve?