Node Failover Option in datastage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sudeepmantri
Participant

Node Failover Option in datastage

Post by sudeepmantri »

Dear all,

shortly we'll be going live with our project and I am trying to explore the option of Node failover option in datastage. For example say I have Environment of 16 nodes and currently my Job is using 2 nodes (Node 1 and Node 2) and say suppose Node-2 Fails. Is there any way that I can use other free nodes instead of this Failed Node-2 and continue with my Job Processing.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Sudeep
nagarjuna
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by nagarjuna »

Node-2 Fails means what ? All the nodes that you mention in configuration file are logical in nature ...
Nag
sudeepmantri
Participant

Post by sudeepmantri »

Node-2 Fails means, the resource/scratch disk allocated to this node fails. Or the section leader itself dies while establishing a communication to this Node!!
miwinter
Participant

Post by miwinter »

Not from within Datastage itself no. You'd need some logic in place to detect an issue (which could be one of many), and then swap in a new config dynamically to use this in place of the original, excluding the problem node(s). However, this won't avoid having to restart a process from the beginning again and possibly will also require starting further back up the flow within your end-to-end process. The inputs for datasets/filesets and the like won't exist on the nodes it expects them to, so the processes behind producing these would also then have to be re-run to correct this.

In summary, yes you could do it, but not quickly and easily and it would be a bespoke solution rather than out-of-the-box and would involve some fairly complex logic if it were to be entirely automated.
Mark Winter
<i>Nothing appeases a troubled mind more than <b>good</b> music</i>
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Talk to IBM about the services they offer for grid-based high availability. There may be something there to lighten your wallet.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
sudeepmantri
Participant

Post by sudeepmantri »

Hmm..yeah ur correct..It can be done, but not straight forward. Problem exists when I have intermediate Filesets and datasets where in I have to change the descriptor accordingly and move the data file to some other place..
:(

Thanks all for your inputs!!