Not able to see the Locks in the Director[Cleanup Resources]

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vintipa
Participant

Not able to see the Locks in the Director[Cleanup Resources]

Post by vintipa »

Hi Experts,

Q1) We are not able to release resources using Director. The Cleanup resource option is not useful to clear the job locks. the PROCESSES in Job Resources window does not list the PIDs of the jobs that are locked so that we could say Logout to release lock.
What could be the reason?

Q2) Can individual users be given access to unlock their respective jobs in the administrator console? At present I am able to release locks using either dsadm or root user only.
Vinay
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I am not sure what you mean with Q1, but the answer to Q2 is "no". I would strongly recommend enabling the lock daemon and setting the time down from the default 15 minutes to something more acceptable to your site. Once you enable it, when you get a locked out job all you need to do is to wait for the daemon to kick in and you don't have to worry about using the cleanup resources (and perhaps kicking out the wrong user).
vintipa
Participant

Post by vintipa »

Hi,
Q1 means that Cleanup resources option is not enabled. How to enable it so that i locks are visible when we select show all.

Q2) please let me know what how to go about enabling the lock daemon and setting the time.

thanks for your quick responses.
Vinay
vintipa
Participant

Post by vintipa »

Hi,
Q1 means that Cleanup resources option is not enabled. How to enable it so that i locks are visible when we select show all.

Q2) please let me know what how to go about enabling the lock daemon and setting the time.

Vinay
vintipa
Participant

Post by vintipa »

Hi,

Vinay
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

A1. It's "enabled" or you wouldn't be in it. :?

A2. Search the forums for dsdlockd for discussions on this.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Dave Malia
Participant

Deadlock Daemon

Post by Dave Malia »

vintipa wrote:Hi,

Q2 - To start the daemon up modify the following settings within the config file:
dsdlockd.config

Set the parameters to

start=1
timer=60
res=2

This means -

start=1 will start daemon when datastage is started (deafult 0)
timer=60 means daemon will check for locks every 60 seconds (default)
res=2 means it will kill the latest process causing the lock (default 0) - ideal if you have long running jobs you may not want to kill!

you can change res to 0,1 or 2 - 0 = random, 1 = the process with most locks and 2 most recent process.

You can start the daemon manually by running 'dsdlockd', and stop by running 'dsdlockd -stop'.
I'm lovin it!!
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Dave - good point with the attribute to select which process, I had forgotten all about and have never changed it.

The default wait period for the deadlock daemon is 900; but setting it to a lower value shouldn't impact performance. Perhaps some middle value, such as 300; this would mean that the longest wait for a lock to clear would be 5 minutes, and on average you would only wait between 2 and 3 minutes.

If you enter "dsdlockd" it will execute with the caller's session and Id; it is preferable to start this process in the background instead of blocking a telnet session. I prefer

Code: Select all

nohup bin/dsdlockd >> dsdlockd.log 2>&1 & 
Dave Malia
Participant

Post by Dave Malia »

ArndW wrote:Dave - good point with the attribute to select which process, I had forgotten all about and have never changed it.

The default wait period for the deadlock daemon is 900; but setting it to a lower ...
By the way, the best method for starting/stopping the daemon is from within the universe using the DEADLOCK.MENU

Use these commands (AIX anyway)
cd $DSPROG
. ../dsenv
dssh
LOGTO UV
DEADLOCK.MENU

follow on screen prompts
Last edited by Dave Malia on Fri May 29, 2009 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm lovin it!!
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

$DSPROG? $DSHOME as a more generic first step, then perhaps "./bin/dssh" if the bin directory isn't part of your $PATH. Oh, and launching from there should start you off already logged to the UV account, IIRC.
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

And do execute the dsenv script before entering the DataStage shell.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Dave Malia
Participant

Post by Dave Malia »

ray.wurlod wrote:And do execute the dsenv script before entering the DataStage shell. ...
did i miss something? :wink:

I love the fact you can edit a previous post :D
I'm lovin it!!
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Ah, yes... revisionist history. :wink:
-craig