Parallel job remote deployment - changing deployment target

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

andrewn
Premium Member
Premium Member

Parallel job remote deployment - changing deployment target

Post by andrewn »

We have a project configured for remote deployment of parallel jobs (through the "Remote" tab in Administrator).

We're deploying jobs to USS on a mainframe.

In development I'd like to be able to run parallel jobs on a different lpar on the mainframe from time to time. (for example we normally run on LPAR1 but I like to run on LPAR2)

I'd assumed it would be enough to change the remote deployment settings on the Project in Administrator, to point at lpar2, and also change the config file to reference fastname lpar2 - then just re-run the parallel job. However, when the job starts we get this message
Parallel job initiated on LPAR2
but then an error like this:
main_program: Fatal Error: An ORCHESTRATE program must be started on a node
in the configuration file. This program is running on LPAR1
which is not in the configuration file: /dev/devuser/Configurations/default.apt
The parallel job appears to attempt to start on lpar2 but somehow it "knows" where it was compiled.

We don't have the APT_PM_CONDUCTOR_NODE variable set.

Compiling a job with the remote deployment options set results in a series of files on the remote machine:
OshExecute.sh OshScript.osh evdepfile jpdepfile pxrun.sh

I can see no reference to a machine name in any of these and running the parallel job outside of DataStage (using pxrun.sh) results in a successful run of the job. Running the job under DataStage's control doesn't work unless the job is recompiled.

I suspect very few people actually use the remote deployment option but does anyone know if it's possible to switch the remote execution environment without having to recompile parallel jobs or are the remote deployment project settings stored with the job in the DataStage server repository, at the time of compilation :?:

Thanks.
andrewn
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by andrewn »

Found out that a script called OshRemote.sh is written to the appropriate RT_SCxxx project directory on the DataStage server. This script contains the rsh command to run the job. The target hostname for the rsh command is in there.

You have to recompile to regenerate this script. (Or you can edit the script directly and change the remote APT_CONFIG_FILE, with the risk of getting into a bit of mess understanding which jobs will run where!).