Scheduled dsexport.exe will not end

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

tbtcust
Premium Member
Premium Member

Scheduled dsexport.exe will not end

Post by tbtcust »

I have scheduled a Sequence job that has an Execute Command Stage that runs the following command
dsexport.exe /H=999.99.99.9:9080 /U=DsAdmin /P=pwrd ProjectName C:\MyFolder\ProjectName.dsx

This job starts but never ends. The dsx file is created but no DataStage objects are sent to the output. DsAdmin is not my user id.

Does anyone know what could be going on?

Thanks in advance for any help
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Run it just like that from the cmd line.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
tbtcust
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tbtcust »

Thanks chulett. I'm trying to schedule this to run off hours when no one is using DataStage. Do you think this is possible?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Yes. Did you try my suggestion? It wasn't meant as the solution, but rather to show you it won't run with your syntax and you need to fix it.
-craig

tbtcust
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tbtcust »

Apologies. I omitted the fully qualified path for dsexport.exe and forgot the DataStage server name. For clarity I changed ProjectName.dsx to DSexportOuptputFileName.dsx

D:\IBM\InformationServer\Clients\Classic\dsexport.exe /H=999.99.99.9:9080 /U=DsAdmin /P=pwrd DataStageServerName/ProjectName C:\MyFolder\DSexportOuptputFileName.dsx
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

And... does this actually work for you and give you the desired results from the command line? I'm asking because (unless it has changed in 8.x) that command will only export a single job not an entire project - you would use dscmdexport for the latter. :?
-craig

tbtcust
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tbtcust »

Absolutely works for the whole project. I have been doing it at the command line for awhile now and just need to automate and schedule

I tried dscmdexport and it works at the command line but in a scheduled Sequence job I received a "failed to attach to project" message
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

And I've used dscmdexport for years in a version of the batch file that Kim Duke has posted on his site. Interesting.
-craig

tbtcust
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tbtcust »

I'm sorry chulett. There is a key part I forgot to add to the original post. I am not signed on to IIS server when the job is started. It runs at 3 AM.

Any additional comments would be appreciated. Thanks.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Well... figured it must have something to do with 8.x over what I've seen (and see) in 7.x. Someone with more 8 experience would need to help, it seems, that or your official support provider. :(
Last edited by chulett on Thu May 21, 2009 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-craig

cfuller
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by cfuller »

If your running in Ver 8, have you tried the 'istools' command shell provided with the client install, it may work a little better. I know I have had problems with scheduled exports and imports, and it seemed to have something to do with the account attached to the scheduled task. This tools may work a little better.

Just a thought. :)
Regards
Chris Fuller

"Reality is what refuses to go away when you stop believing in it"