SCD stage -- output link

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

edwds
Premium Member
Premium Member

SCD stage -- output link

Post by edwds »

Is it Mandatory to have an Output link from the SCD stage in the ETL job when using a SCD stage.

I am using a SCD stage in my job to load the Dimension table. I don't want the output sent to a file.

If I just use one link to the Dimension table and NO output links, it gives the following error:

The required output link for the SCD stage 'SCD' was not found!
JRodriguez
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: SCD stage -- output link

Post by JRodriguez »

It's mandatory ... that's the nature of the beast ...

edwds wrote:Is it Mandatory to have an Output link from the SCD stage in the ETL job when using a SCD stage.

I am using a SCD stage in my job to load the Dimension table. I don't want the output sent to a file.

If I just use one link to the Dimension table and NO output links, it gives the following error:

The required output link for the SCD stage 'SCD' was not found!
Julio Rodriguez
ETL Developer by choice

"Sure we have lots of reasons for being rude - But no excuses
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

... but you can direct it to a Sequential File stage that appends to /dev/null if you wish to discard the records.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

I send the fact output to a copy link that goes nowhere and reduce that output to just one column for speed.
Raftsman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Raftsman »

Would it not be more efficient to sent the SCD Output link to a Peek other that a copy. Would the copy not chew up resources?

Thanks
Jim Stewart
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

A Copy stage with no output links serves as a sink and consumes no (or negligible) resources. Look at the score for the job.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.