how to insert record into table when input file is empty

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

shalini11
Participant

how to insert record into table when input file is empty

Post by shalini11 »

Hi All,

I have to load data from a file into database.

When there are no records in the file(empty file), then i want to enter 1 hardcoded record into table.

How can i implement this?Could you pls help.

Thanks
nagarjuna
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by nagarjuna »

As of now i think of having a execute command activity stage ( using wc -l filename ) and if output of that execute activity stage is 0 then insert hardcoded value else normal action.
Nag
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Or perhaps check if the file is empty before the job starts and conditionally append this 'hardcoded record' to it.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
dsedi
Participant

Post by dsedi »

nagarjuna wrote:As of now i think of having a execute command activity stage ( using wc -l filename ) and if output of that execute activity stage is 0 then insert hardcoded value else normal action.
I doubt it. The exec command activity will just trigger the output link or it will not(based on the conditional expression).Now how(where) do you write "insert hard coded value else normal action"
dsedi
Participant

Re: how to insert record into table when input file is empty

Post by dsedi »

shalini11 wrote:Hi All,

When there are no records in the file(empty file), then i want to enter 1 hardcoded record into table.

How can i implement this?Could you pls help.

Thanks
Have you implemented anything? pls post it here so all can benefit.
Btw..What is empty file? You mean a file with ZERO size or No data (with header)
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Job Sequence

Code: Select all

+-->  Job to insert hard coded row
                           |
GetFileSize  --->  Test  --+
                           |
                           +--> Job to process file contents
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
datastage_learner
Participant

Post by datastage_learner »

mate...since you have not described the scenario properly, how your job is going to run properly. if at source level file if there is no data, won't it stop or abort for that matter? :(
Thanks,
DS_Learner
nagarjuna
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by nagarjuna »

DataStage job wont abort if you dont have records in the input sequential file .It will run successfully .

datastage_learner wrote:

mate...since you have not described the scenario properly, how your job is going to run properly. if at source level file if there is no data, won't it stop or abort for that matter? :(
Nag