Compare files taken from FTP

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ganesh.soundar
Participant

Compare files taken from FTP

Post by ganesh.soundar »

Hi,

I have a requirement to fetch two files from FTP server and then to perform checksum operation on those files. Need to identify those files are identical or different using the checksum value.

I can perform column or record level checksum using Basic transformer. But no clue of how to do this comparison for files. Please let me know how to do this.

Regards,
Raja
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

Checksum is a name and not a fixed logic.

You need to be asking this to your business or source team of file.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Right, whomever gave you that requirement should also be able to tell you how you would calculate that 'checksum' value in your organization. Hopefully some sort of command line utility, easily scripted.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
LNarayan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by LNarayan »

chulett wrote:Right, whomever gave you that requirement should also be able to tell you how you would calculate that 'checksum' value in your organization. Hopefully some sort of command line utility, easily scripted.
Thanks. Apart from checksum is there any stage in DS to identify the source files are identical or different?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

At the file level? Not directly, no. This is where you would leverage your operating system, something easily incorporated into a DataStage job stream using a Sequence job, however.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Is there any reason you can't use the UNIX command diff to perform the comparison? This could be invoked from an Execute Command activity in a job sequence.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.