DSWaitForJob Timing Out after 15 seconds

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

DHallam
Participant

DSWaitForJob Timing Out after 15 seconds

Post by DHallam »

Hi all,

I'm running with some sequences that are running in parallel with the multiple instance option checked. However, about 50% of the time, the sequence fails with a timeout after about 15-20 seconds. The log messages are below. All references I've found to the DSWaitForJob relate to a default timeout of about 30mins but this is nowhere near.

Can anyone suggest what might be going wrong and how to change the timeout setting, if there is such an option?

4/23/2009 11:07:38 AM - ExecuteScript.ExecuteTransferScript.JobControl (DSRunJob): Waiting for job ScriptRunner.transferScript to start
4/23/2009 11:07:40 AM - ExecuteScript.ExecuteTransferScript.JobControl (DSWaitForJob): Waiting for job ScriptRunner.transferScript to finish
4/23/2009 11:07:54 AM - ExecuteScript.ExecuteTransferScript.JobControl (DSWaitForJob): Job ScriptRunner.transferScript has finished, status = 99 (Not running)
4/23/2009 11:07:54 AM - ExecuteScript.ExecuteTransferScript.JobControl (@Link): Will execute error activity: ExceptionHandler

Many thanks,

Dave
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

It might be that your system is overloaded during the startup phase. Have you monitored the system activity (CPU and memory)?
DHallam
Participant

Post by DHallam »

Hi,

It might be overloaded. I'm spawning 2 instances of the same sequence at the same time, and each of those runs a script which runs some java code - though none is particularly intensive.

In fact, from reviewing the logs from the code that is run, the code starts at 2009-04-23 11:07:45.094 and finishes at 2009-04-23 11:07:52.904, i.e. it has actually run successfully.

The DS log says status=99 (Not running) - it's finished so that's kind of true. So I don't know what's going on.

Is there a way for me to extend the timeout so that things have more time to kick off?

Many thanks,

Dave
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Hmm, the status of 99 combined with multi-instance jobs... Do you have auto-purge settings for this job?
priyadarshikunal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by priyadarshikunal »

If its a multi instance job
go through the below link

viewtopic.php?p=323970&highlight=#323970
Priyadarshi Kunal

Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped. :wink:
DHallam
Participant

Post by DHallam »

Wow, thanks for spotting that. I will have a full read through and check out what patch level we are at and go from there.

Will update thread when resolution discovered.

Many thanks again.
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

I have an open PMR that is currently being researched by second-level support and engineering for which existing patches were ineffective.

A workaround that has been effective for me...

Add a user-defined environment variable to the project called DS_NO_INSTANCE_PURGING and set its value to 1. Then recompile the jobs.

Mike
DHallam
Participant

Post by DHallam »

I'll try that, thanks Mike.

Does this only affect 8.0.1? I've asked our admins to upgrade to 8.1 in the hope that that will fix the problem.
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

I'm on 8.0.1 and haven't seen anyone mention having this issue on 8.1 yet.

Mike
DHallam
Participant

Post by DHallam »

Environment variable appears to work fine and looks like a valid workaround for me. I am still going to get the server upgraded to 8.1 though.

Many thanks for all your help.

Dave
DHallam
Participant

Post by DHallam »

Nope - failing again. Will report back when 8.1 is installed.