DB2 Stage extracting rows based on a file of keys

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Nicole
Premium Member
Premium Member

DB2 Stage extracting rows based on a file of keys

Post by Nicole »

One issue we have been having with DataStage is we need to be able to feed the DB2 Stage with a file of keys to use as the where criteria. We find it inefficient to have to pull all of the data from the table and then lookup or match these rows using the Lookup stage or merge.

Is there some way to do this? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

If I am not clear or if you don't understand exactly what I need, I will try to explain in more detail.

Thanks,

Nicole
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Why not first load the keys into a work table and then join them to your source table in the DB2 stage?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Nicole
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nicole »

We spoke to an IBM DataStage guy...supposedly a guru :) and he tried to explain a way to do this...

He said if we supply the transformer with an input link from DB2 stage and input link from a sequential file with the rows of keys, the transformer stage would recognize the DB2 stage as a lookup using generated sql where criteria using columns from the input file indicated as keys.

BUT, as we know, the transformer stage can only have one input link. He's not available at the moment..so we're giving him a call back on Monday and I thought i'd give you guys a try now.

If you can think of what he is trying to do and maybe we misunderstood..let me know. There is no way that the transformer would ever allow multiple input links, correct?

Thanks and have a great weekend!!!

Nicole
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Self-appointed guru apparently, and giving you a server job solution for a parallel job problem. Neither Transformer stage in parallel jobs allows for more than one input link. You could, however, do what he suggested using a Join stage. Or what Craig suggested, a technique known as a "key bucket table".
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.