Use of auto partitioning method

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

NigeGriff
Premium Member
Premium Member

Use of auto partitioning method

Post by NigeGriff »

When defining guidelines for enterprise developers is it best to recommend using auto partitioning method or for developers to explicitly select the partioning method required for the processing being performed.

Ascential recommend auto partitioning but are there issues with this recommendation.
Thanks
Nigel
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Auto will always work. Somewhere else on DSXchange I have posted a list of what you get in various situations.

Auto may not, however, be optimal in all cases, particularly where it sets Entire as the algorithm on a reference input to a Lookup stage in a multi-machine environment.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
NigeGriff
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by NigeGriff »

Thanks for the quick reply Ray.
Thanks
Nigel
sharantheboss
Participant

Re: Use of auto partitioning method

Post by sharantheboss »

Hi,

Auto is not recomended always! use diffrent kind of partitions depending on the scenarios like Hash partition for key based opertaions,Entire for look-up,round robin for non-key operations etc

Regards
Boss

NigeGriff wrote:When defining guidelines for enterprise developers is it best to recommend using auto partitioning method or for developers to explicitly select the partioning method required for the processing being performed.

Ascential recommend auto partitioning but are there issues with this recommendation.
DS Info
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

(Auto) does give "Hash" on inputs to those stage types that require key-based partitioning.

Therefore I say again, (Auto) will always work.

Again, this may be sub-optimal. Modulus may be more appropriate (it is more efficient, but requires a single integer key column).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.