Passing Parameter to Job in run time

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dsuser_cai
Premium Member
Premium Member

Passing Parameter to Job in run time

Post by dsuser_cai »

Hi

We have parameter file that contains all the parameter and we use a server routine to call the parameters and pass them in the job sequences. so when ever we change the environment we just change the entry in the parameter file and use it, this method works fine., but my question is: Is there any other method available to accomplish the same task, if you could share your ideas it would be of great help.

Thanks,
Thanks
Karthick
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

We do the same thing in a shell script. All jobs are run through this script. We use Zena as our scheduler. It is similar to control M. There are many similar products out there.

We have parameter files for each job as well. We also have them at the instance level for each job. So if each instance needs a different set of values then we can handle it.

We do not use sequences at all.
Mamu Kim
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I like to use sequence and job parameters (or Parameter Sets in version 8 are even better). The sequence can pick up parameter values from pretty much anywhere, with a variety of techniques. One I like a lot is when the values are in a database table to run a server job to retrieve them and place them in its user status area.

Defaults for job parameters can be changed in Director, without needing to change the design or recompile. You must have Administrator privileges to effect such changes.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
dsuser_cai
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by dsuser_cai »

This is really amazing, when everybody share their experience and expertise. Thank you all for your wonderful ideas, keep contributing to this thread.
Thanks
Karthick
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

I prefer sequences too but not the standard at the current site.
Mamu Kim