First parallel job

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

JPalatianos
Premium Member
Premium Member

First parallel job

Post by JPalatianos »

Hi,
We are developing our first parallel job and early on already hit a stumbling block. In our server version of the job we defined the following administrative variables and imported them in the job prperties.
$MF_DSN
$MF_UID
$MF_Password

and just coded the following in the ODBC stage:
#$MF_DSN#
#$MF_UID#
#$MF_Password#

In the parallel job ODBC I can't get this to work....I tried with and without the # character with no luck. I can only get it to work if I hard code the connection parameters in the ODBC.
Thanks - - John
throbinson
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by throbinson »

Do a search of DSCAPIOP

I haven't worked with 8 but this could be the same problem(s) as I and others experienced with EE jobs not correctly substituting the environment variables for values at runtime.
JPalatianos
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by JPalatianos »

I have noticed that the variables look to be substitued properly (at least the dsn and UID)

Server:NJROS1BBLA0602
Project:CRM
Job No:2
Job name:Test2
Invocation:
Event Number:0
Event type:Control
User:NJROS1BBLA0602\DSADM
Timestamp:4/15/2009 4:29:20 PM
Message Id:DSTAGE_RUN_I_0070
$MF_UID = Z8TDSTG [$PROJDEF]
$MF_Password = ********
$MF_DSN = DBB5 [$PROJDEF]
JPalatianos
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by JPalatianos »

The fatal error I receive when I try executing is:

ODBC_Connector_0: [IIS-CONN-ODBC-000004] ODBC function "SQLConnect" reported: SQLSTATE = 08001: Native Error Code = -30,020: Msg = [IBM][CLI Driver] SQL30020N Execution of the command or SQL statement failed because of a syntax error in the communication data stream that will affect the successful execution of subsequent commands and SQL statements: Reason Code "0x124C"("0209")"". SQLSTATE=58009
[IIS-CONN-ODBC-000004] ODBC function "SQLConnect" reported: SQLSTATE = IM006: Native Error Code = 0: Msg = [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver's SQLSetConnectAttr failed
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

John,
Make sure your $MF_Password parameter is keyed in as $PROJDEF.
JPalatianos
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by JPalatianos »

I did check to make sure all were defined as $PROJDEF.....
The weird thing is when i check the Job Status Details in Director they are identical for the run with the hard coded parameters(succesful and I can connect from the ODBC stage)
Current job parameters:
$MF_UID=Z8TDSTG
$MF_Password=L<;@AIV8>=3M4O7M4;JLBK0G
$MF_DSN=DBB5

with those when i use the admin variables(job fails and I cannot connect from the ODBC stage)
Current job parameters:
$MF_UID=Z8TDSTG
$MF_Password=L<;@AIV8>=3M4O7M4;JLBK0G
$MF_DSN=DBB5
throbinson
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by throbinson »

The DSCAPIOP problem manifests itself at the stage level. Meaning the job itself and most stages will substitute correctly. I think it would be worth checking to make sure the ODBC stage is correctly substituting as well. To do this I think you need to set the Project Reporting variable OSH_DUMP to true and re-run. Then look at the dump in Director and verify that the ODBC stage is using substituted values for the env vars and NOT, for example, DSCAPIOP_MF_UID
JPalatianos
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by JPalatianos »

Thanks for the suggestion, when I look at the OSH_DUMP I see.....
type=\'string\'>1.0</DescriptorVersion><PartitionType type=\'int\'>-1</PartitionType></Common><Connection><DataSource modified=\'1\' type=\'string\'><![CDATA[$MF_DSN]]></DataSource><Username modified=\'1\' type=\'string\'><![CDATA[$MF_UID]]></Username><Password modified=\'1\' type=\'string\'><![CDATA[$MF_Password]]></Password>

Is this where I should be seeing the substitued values for teh DSN,UID and PWD?
throbinson
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by throbinson »

I believe so. DSCAPIOP is not your problem.
JPalatianos
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by JPalatianos »

OK, I rebuilt the job from scratch and am using the following for the ODBC parameters:
#$MF_DSN#
#$MF_UID#
#$MF_Password#

all defined as $PROJDEF in the job properties. Now the job runs clean, but I am still unable to connect via the ODBC stage in designer(tried both the test and view data buttons)
JPalatianos
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by JPalatianos »

I just opened a PMR with IBM......will post any information I receive to resolve this issue.
JPalatianos
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by JPalatianos »

I just opened a PMR with IBM......will post any information I receive to resolve this issue.
JPalatianos
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by JPalatianos »

IBM tried a bunch of things and nothing worked. We had an IBM DS consultant working on site and I ran it by him......he didn't recall why but remembers that the ODBC Enterprise stage should be used in parallel jobs and not ODBC Connector stage. All work fine with the Enterprise stage.
sjfearnside
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sjfearnside »

I had a similiar problem with the ODBC connector on AIX. My support provider requested I apply a patch. The patch was patch_JR32595v2_server_aix_801. You can enquire from your support provider to see if there is a similiar patch for your OS. We never applied the patch since we are in the planning process of moving to V8.1 and do not want to disrupt the current production environment.