SIGSEGV error in job..

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

verify
Premium Member
Premium Member

SIGSEGV error in job..

Post by verify »

Hi,
I'm unloading tables into a dataset.My job is working fine for all the tables except one table "VW_AGMNT".The job is getting aborted showing error as:-
"orastagingdba,0: Operator terminated abnormally, received signal SIGSEGV".

But after sometimes if we run the job again the job is running successfully for "VW_AGMNT" table.

I search on the forum but i didn't find any related posts to it.

Could anyone please tell me why this error occurs?And how do i solve this?

Any help will be greatly appreciated..
RK Raju
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Is the extraction doing anything that might consume memory, such as sorting? Are there any nullable columns in the Oracle table that you are trying to load into non-nullable columns in the Data Set? Are you undertaking any transformation of the data as they flow through? Are you trying to load character strings into target fields that are not large enough to accommodate them? Any of these things (and others) might lead to an segmentation violation (which is what a SIGSEGV signal signals).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
verify
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by verify »

The extraction has a "where" clause, i'm filtering records based on a date, but i'm not sorting the records.It's a direct mapping from source to target without any change in metadata.

I've used a used defined SQL for extraction:-
"select * from schema.VW_AGMNT where R_DATE='27-MAR-2009' ".

Regards
Datisaq
RK Raju
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

The "VW_" prefix should mean you are sourcing from a view and not directly from a table, so there could be an 'order by' in the view definition for all you know.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
verify
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by verify »

Thanks for your reply craig..

Yes you're right it's a view, but the view definition didn't have any "order by" clause.The view has nearly 60,000 records.

Is it the problem with the memory.
RK Raju
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Change your "select *" to mention all of the columns you are selecting individually by name.
-craig

verify
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by verify »

Actually my job is a generic job and i'm paasing the table name as a job invocation id to the query as
"select * from schema.DSJobInvocationId".And i enabled the RCP and Multiple instance propery in the job.So, the job will unload all the tables irrepective of the metadata.

The job is working perfectly for all the tables except "VW_AGMNT".

Please let me know how do i solve this problem?
RK Raju
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Are any of these other "tables" really views as well and other views work fine, just not this one? Or is this the only view with an issue? In order words, is this a generic "view problem" where it doesn't work for any of them or is it a problem specific to this view? :?
-craig