is 7.5x2 the release # for Windows AND UNIX or different?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dsex100
Premium Member
Premium Member

is 7.5x2 the release # for Windows AND UNIX or different?

Post by dsex100 »

Hi I was reading the datastage 7.5 windows version release notes.

It states:

"Release 7.5x2 is supported on the Windows platform only. Please ignore
all references to Unix platforms in this document and the manual set.
Future releases will be supported on all platforms."

So I have 2 questions,

1. On the UNIX version of DataStage Enterprise Edition 7.5 what's the release #, is it also 7.5x2?

2. In DataStage version 8, is it like 1 CD or DVD for both Windows and UNIX?
(I can't think of another operating system type)
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

7.5.anything where anything does not include "x" is a UNIX release. It's also a Windows release, but one that does not support compilation or execution of parallel jobs (though they can be designed).

You would be very lucky to get Information Server on a DVD. IBM has a strong preference to have you download the software. Therefore managing the platform is more straightforward for them.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

1. No, that "7.5x2" was a special, one time only magical release of the 7.5 (.2 I assume) parallel engine on Windows and was the only time the "x" was used.

2. No, separate media/download for each O/S and for UNIX that means for each "flavor" as well - so Windows has one, AIX has one, HP-UX has one, etc etc. It's all about the binaries, man.

And as Ray notes they really don't want to ship you the media, but they will. If you ask nicely. From Ireland. Made by leprechauns. And since they're mischievous little buggers, you'll probably get the wrong disks at first, maybe twice. Trust me, I speak from experience. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

When you buy the product you get an IBM Passport Advantage login to download software you have entitlements for. It will from memory lets you download the software for any platform. The DataStage install should be well under 1G to download, the Information Server install is about 1.7G. I think DataStage 7.5.3 is the best version 7 release and should be available on all platforms including Windows and Linux. Skip 7.5.2X - it was the first cut of DataStage on Windows and could have some teething problems.
dsex100
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by dsex100 »

thank You All for your answers ..!

I'm studying for the datastage 7.5 enterprise certification IBM Exam..

I've got about 3 years experience with the 7.0 and 7.5 Server version

I see a lot of companies demanding the "PX" version which is enterprise
so I figure I should get the "Enterprise" knowledge.

I would love to have version 8.. if you wouldn't mind telling me, how much do they charge?

I'm going to try and create a passport account but I have a feeling that it's really expensive.

thanks for sharing your knowledge
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

I don't think I have ever heard of anyone buying DataStage for personal use. Very expensive. If you work for an alliance partner of IBM you can request an evaluation version of 7.5.3 parallel edition.
dsex100
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by dsex100 »

oh really, an evaluation version, that's very interesting
one would need the connections though, I don't have the alliance unfortunately

I was checking prices on the IBM site and well some are up into 5-6 figures

but i found this (there's a few in the 3 lower-middle 3 figure range)

is anyone familiar with this product from IBM $289?

IBM InfoSphere DataStage for Non-Production Environments Processor Value Unit (PVU) License + SW Subscription & Support 12 Months (D03TVLL) 289.00

this would be me using this for personal use
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

It's a good price and it's very good value, unfortunately what you get with that license is the right to run DataStage on 1/100th of a CPU! It costs 100 Value Units to pay for one CPU and various multicores CPUs have costs of 25, 50 or 100 Value Units per core. I don't think IBM would let you get away with claiming you are only running DataStage on 1/100th of your computers CPU.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

So, 100 PVUs @ $289 per PVU = $28,900 for a single-core single CPU machine.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
dsex100
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by dsex100 »

i went and checked that in the ibm shopping cart and saw the multiplication add up

oh yeah that's expensive